M42 Fan setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Fan setup

Alright guys. Rebuilding this 91 318is and I have seen a lot of M20/M5X fan shroud assemblies but nothing aftermarket for the M42s. Stumbled across someone saying they had a shroud and fan setup that would work with a new temp sensor (different heat range) but bolts right up otherwise.

The z3 M44 uses the same PN radiator as the e30 318. So in theory if the shroud bolts up to the z3 it SHOULD bolt right up to the e30?

The OE PN for the shroud/ fan assy is 64508372039.
    Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tell me before I run a Spal fan and flexalite thermo-switch like on the e46.

Does the 318is have A/C? If so its got wiring and a temp switch for an electric aux fan, which can be repurposed to run a Spal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

The M44 fan fits, but you basically lose your AUX/AC fan if you wire it in the traditional way. I am certain there is a thread about an M44 fan conversion, so look around.

Best place for the signal is the switch on the passenger side of the radiator, for some fans you may want to change the switch to trigger at another temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        The M44 fan fits, but you basically lose your AUX/AC fan if you wire it in the traditional way. I am certain there is a thread about an M44 fan conversion, so look around.

Best place for the signal is the switch on the passenger side of the radiator, for some fans you may want to change the switch to trigger at another temperature.
        Exactly right. I just installed it on my 318 and it bolted up. I had to extend the wiring on the aux fan and adjust the fan because it was basically hitting the front of the engine so I added some spacers (washers)on the fan to move it toward the front of the car and I had to adjust the resistor since it was almost hitting the belt pulley.
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
        X