Driveshaft vibrations- HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft vibrations- HELP

Soo I had the classic driveshaft vibration under load problem due to bad u-joints and csb. Then I replaced the guibo, csb and put in a used driveshaft that was supposedly good according to the previous owner (the u-joints moved pretty well too). Now the car runs like a champ until I hit 60ish mph. From 60-80(haven't gone any higher) the car shakes a lot while I'm on the gas. If I let it coast its smooth but as soon as I give it any amount of throttle it shakes again. I was thinking the two parts of the driveshaft may be out of balance but I don't understand why it doesn't shake when I'm coasting. If its a balancing issue shouldn't it be speed dependent and thus happen both on and off the throttle? Any insights appreciated otherwise I may just bite the bullet and buy a new driveshaft. Thanks.

Two things, did you properly preload the CSB? See my post in the DIY section on aligning the drive line.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
      Two things, did you properly preload the CSB? See my post in the DIY section on aligning the drive line.
      Link please my phone searches other thing's

Comment

Thanks for the help tomstin. I preloaded the csb as per the Bentley which means I just pushed it forward a far as I could and bolted it down. Your driveshaft alignment DIY (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...ght=driveshaft) is pretty interesting, to be honest I didn't even know that was a thing. In any case I'm going to try it tomorrow see if it fixes it.

Comment

If it didn't, try wiggling the diff flange, as a loose pinion can behave this way.

Likewise the trans flange, but that's harder to miss.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Are you sure that the two halves of the shaft are properly aligned? It gets balanced as a single unit, and if the front/rear sections have been rotated to a different orientation, you will have big vibration issues. There should be little white dots on the yokes of the two halves, often covered with dirt and grime. Some hot soapy water and a sponge should make them visible if they are not already. They should line up, and if not you have to separate the halves and rotate them to the proper position before reassembly.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
            X