Clutch Pedal Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Pedal Binding

Posting this to see if anybody has experienced anything similar...

I noticed lately within the past few weeks that my clutch pedal would squeak when depressing it. Didn't think much of it and figured I would WD-40 some of the hinges.

More recently, I experienced something strange. One day, I went to change gears and depressed the clutch pedal, and on letting go, the pedal came up ~1" then seemed to bind and get stuck in that position. I tried depressing it again and this time it came all the way back up. It happens only intermittently, and I noticed it happens more frequently when I let up the clutch during a right hand turn. When it binds, I'm always able to get it back up by depressing it again (I don't lift up on it like more common "clutch stuck to the floor" issues).

Since it doesn't have soft/squishy feel to it, I'm leaning towards a mechanical issue than hydraulic. Has anyone experienced something like this before?

clutch spring?
    JP
    WTB: Z3 1.9 lever, plastic bumpers, 19# injectors, Anthracite Cloth Sport Seats

Current
    88 325 super eta
    00 528i/5 (daily)
    02 530iA sport

Former
    04 525iA sport
    87 325is
    91 325i
    97 528i

Comment

Mine did this during a race. You'd have to bring it back up with your foot. Wound up rebuilding the Input Clutch Cylinder (the one attached to the pedal) and I haven't had the problem since.

This might be your problem.

Comment

Just to update this thread, the issue ended up being a bad clutch slave cylinder. When I unbolted it, the rod just dropped out of the cylinder.

Comment

Working...
        X