Car is taking awhile to warm up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car is taking awhile to warm up

So I freshly rebuilt this motor, all new cooling system. Radiator is new as well. Pretty much everything in or around this motor is new but I could use some reminding otherwise.
    The car takes awhile to warm up, especially at idle. I feel like for my e39 wagon, I will have it warmed up before Im down the street in this record heat. However for this car its taking awhile.

Im wondering if it could be the thermostat or if its just taking so long to warm up, it just takes awhile for the thermostat to open.
    I had heard that you need to point the thermostat exactly up with the indicating arrow to guide you.. Im not 100% sure I did that but then again I think I did.
    The car DOES reach operating temp, mind you, and will stay at operating temp until Im at a stand-still and then temp climbs (slowly) (note that Im currently working through e-fan wiring issues, hence this issue).

Is this normal for the M42 or am I missing something?

It seems that you are comparing a modern engine to an M42.

For instance, my 530i is at "1/4" after 2 minutes of operation, and every single 318i (including M44s) takes about twice as long to warm up.

Possible reasons: large differences in thermal efficiency in engine designs; differences in displacement/cylinder count; changes in allowable cold enrichment on OBD 1 vs 2; catalyst layout; cooling system usage/capacity; thermostat bypass designs.

Basically, don't sweat it, the M42 and the M40 for that matter, take a bit to warm up.

Comment

whew that makes me feel better and that does make sense.

Comment

Working...
      X