Proper way to install manifold studs, M20 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper way to install manifold studs, M20 head

Loctite, anti seize or dry? I've been reading lots of posts and looks like there are no consensus on the question. so what is the proper way? Something tells me dry...don't want for them to get loose. Something tells me zinc anti seize...dissimilar metals
    Last edited by zaq123; 08-17-2018, 06:50 PM.

Well I don't know what's "correct" but I slathered my studs in antiseize.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
      Well I don't know what's "correct" but I slathered my studs in antiseize.
      I saw your thread. Did you reduce a torque value for stud nuts? They say wet/dry about 25% difference.

Comment

Nope, torqued em just like the books says. At the time, I didn't even consider that using anti-seize would make a difference vs dry. It's not the kind of part that I'm overly concerned about anyway, if they're tight and they stay on, they're good.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          Nope, torqued em just like the books says. At the time, I didn't even consider that using anti-seize would make a difference vs dry. It's not the kind of part that I'm overly concerned about anyway, if they're tight and they stay on, they're good.
          the aluminum is why I worry about over torquing it

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
            the aluminum is why I worry about over torquing it
            You're absolutely correct to worry about that

Comment

I would anti seize if you want to make it easier to remove later on.
              Since it's a stud and nut and given the anti seize isn't on the nut it doesn't come into play much except when you try and reomove the stud
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Dont over think it. Clean both bits. No goop. Screw them in, firm but not tight. Done. Worked for me on many engines over the years.

Comment

Working...
                X