M62B35 into an 87 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M62B35 into an 87 325is

This is my first foray into the world of BMW with the exception of my fathers former 97 Z3 2.8.. which I never even got a chance to drive.
    So I'm paying on a 87 325is, getting it in another 2 weeks.. and i have plans to swap a M62B35 into it.. my query is this: Is there enough room in the engine bay to do such a thing, would I have enough room if I wanted to drop a pair of turbos behind the engine at a later date (if I felt like it), how difficult is this engine to find stateside (as they were evidently only produced in europe, according to wikipedia) and is the vehicles stock drivetrain tough enough to handle this engine? (if it would even mount up)
    The last query may seem ridiculous but I'm used to dealing with the 85 celica GTS, whose stock DT on a 2.4 can handle a swap to a 5.7 with no issues and hold together.
    Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by 87BIM325is; 12-01-2010, 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
    The speed limit is only a suggestion

Hmmm... check my project pictures out, maybe they give you some idea that the swap is far from "bolt on".. You might also find this video interesting

And what comes to the swap itself. Well, all of that is doable but will take quite a lot of time (and money).
    First of all, why to go with B35 as B44 is realistically the same engine with much more horsepower and reserve (especially when thinking the turbos)..?
    Only V8 gearboxes will bolt on to such engines, so the best way to go forward is source complete E39 540 6-speed manual car and take everything from it.. Which leads to the fact that M62 electronics are bit problematic, so you'd be better of using M60 (which has double chains etc..), though the problem with them is that there're not too many of those around with manual gearboxes..

Considering rest of the driveline, you'll need front part of the shaft between diff and gearbox from the car you take the gearbox out of. Otherwise the diff and halfshafts will take the torque nicely (though everything can be broken when wanted..).

The main problems in such swap are the brake booster and exhaust manifolds, though when turboing the thing the exhaust manifolds have to be redone anyway (there's no way to fit the turbos somewhere down in the engine bay). Brake booster can be ditched and individual brake cylinders used, which gives you more room too..

Turbos are also doable (in the m3 picture the engine is S62 which can be considered to be M62 with ITB's)..

- E34 M5 (x 2) -
    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
    - E46 318i Touring -
    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

just a courtesy embed

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
      click here for details

Comment

Originally posted by OrganicMechanic View Post

just a courtesy embed
        i would love for my vert to just Look like that!

Comment

Working...
        X