Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...3&postcount=51

I believe that PiercedE30 is using an s54 one, iirc those are 3 core.
    Thanks for the link... I got the part number off the one pic, so I'm good to go:D

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
      Thanks Garey - though that last picture you included kind of defines "clean"! Car goes to the dyno tomorrow. Clutch pedal feel is kinda "light", but I won't get too excited about that if the PP does its job. Clutch master cylinder is stock e30, while the slave is stock 530i - so the cylinder ratios might be different. Ran it through the gears on the lift, and it all worky.

BTW - I may have a solution for the non-stock instrument cluster swaps, as it relates to getting the VSS to the DME, which is required. My understanding is that without a speed input signal, the DME will default to an RPM limit that will not exceed the governed top-speed, if the car was in its tallest gear. So, if the car has a top-speed limiter of 135mph, and that translates to 5000rpm in top-gear, that's the RPM limit in all gears. Hence, the "speed-delete" option on all of the 6-cylinder performance chips. I've hunted and pecked, and there is no off-the-shelf performance chip option for the M60 with "speed delete". This currently includes the WAR chip guys in Canada. Anyway, I've tried something, and it will be painfully obvious on the dyno if it doesn't work.

-Bruce
      I hope the word "painfully" isn't used literally... ugh. Can't wait to hear back on your results tomorrow. GL and let us know...

Garey

Comment

I put the clutch/flywheel info in the other thread. Short answer - everything worked out, and the clutch kit is an e36 328i (or e39 528i, or Z3 2.8L).

My VSS speed signal trick worked as well. The diff uses a reed switch (magnetically driven switch), rather than an inductive pickup or hall sensor. So, the switch opens/closes as the teeth of the reluctor (9) pass by the switch mounted on the diff. If you check out an e30/e34/e32 ETM manual, you will see that the instrument cluster is providing power, and also providing a path back to ground. However, it is providing power through a pull-up resistor, of unspecified resistance. The R-value of the resistor in this case is determined by the amount of current that one would prefer (or prefer not) to sink at the DME. So, choosing a relatively high pull-up (3.3 kilo-ohm) should only cause about 4mA of current to flow. By limiting charge flow, the waveform will be better, especially as switching times (higher speed) get short.

Anyhow, to create your circuit, run 12-volts through a 3.3Kohm resistor, then to the diff (red/brown on e30), and then connect the other (brown) wire coming off the diff to ground. Run another wire from the diff side of the resistor to your speed input at the DME (or pin 14 of the X20 connector, which would also be pin 14 on the C101/e30 side of the world). Then enjoy full-RPM range in all gears.

-Bruce

Comment

That's just for aftermarket cluster setups correct?

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
            That's just for aftermarket cluster setups correct?
            No, it's the VSS to the M60 DME, not the cluster. Without it, the DME defaults to the speed limited RPM as a sort of RPM governor for the engine. This gives the DME a speed signal so it knows not to default to that RPM limited mode. That's what I got out of Bruce's last couple of posts, anyway... correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Garey

Comment

I've described a circuit that allows you to run without a stock instrument cluster, and still provide the necessary speed signal to the DME. If you are utilizing a stock dash, then none of this is necessary (except mapping your C101 connector to the X20 connector, and making sure that pin 14 is wired/active).

-Bruce

Comment

I've described a circuit
                -Bruce
                And done a might fine job of it at that! Thanks for the info.

Erik

Comment

I've described a circuit that allows you to run without a stock instrument cluster, and still provide the necessary speed signal to the DME. If you are utilizing a stock dash, then none of this is necessary (except mapping your C101 connector to the X20 connector, and making sure that pin 14 is wired/active).

-Bruce
                  Ok cool. I figured it was for aftermarket setups and that with a stock cluster you just grab one of the green pins on the back for VSS.

Comment

Working...
                  X