Exhausting work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riddle me this, Batman

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair! And it was brand new before install.
    Attached Files

Comment

Since things have quieted down a bit around here, I'll post some picks of the remainder of the exhaust system.

-Bruce
      Attached Files

Comment

You need to send one of those Caterhams my way....
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
          Since things have quieted down a bit around here, I'll post some picks of the remainder of the exhaust system.

-Bruce
          Looks nice Bruce...looks like the ground clearance is pretty good too, especially for a track car. Unfortunately, I have a bunch more stuff to fit up under there on mine, but I'm confident I can get it all to work and keep the ground clearance figure as large as possible. 2 cats, 1 x-pipe and 2 mufflers, all before the rear subframe... I have a plan and it should look pretty sweet and sound even better... Ever get the oil pressure bug worked out? Just curious...

Garey

Comment

We also used 18-gauge mild steel for our tubing, which wouldn't be recommended for a street car. You should be able to get the cats/x-pipe in there without compromising too much ground clearance. In our car, the exhaust doesn't break the plane of the front sway-bar.

The donor engine has been stripped down a bit, and is in the process of being cleaned, after installing a new front main seal. Old engine is still in the car, out of harms way while we prep the "new" one. I hope to have everything swapped over, and the engine reinstalled later this week.

I'm really bugged about the erratic high oil pressure. Lots of theories, but no smoking gun yet. We'll be checking every last bit of plumbing we added to the system, for sure.

I picked up a used Dinan M60 performance chip a couple of weeks ago on CL. Can anyone speak from experience about their HP claims?

-Bruce

Comment

I wonder if there is any type of pressure relief valve in the original oil filter housing? Long shot, but without the housing, it might cause the high pressure? Dunno.. throwin' darts at a board here. Also, what was your driveshaft solution? That's one thing I've not given a lot of thought to... suggestions?

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                I wonder if there is any type of pressure relief valve in the original oil filter housing? Long shot, but without the housing, it might cause the high pressure? Dunno.. throwin' darts at a board here. Also, what was your driveshaft solution? That's one thing I've not given a lot of thought to... suggestions?

Garey
                I stared at the stock oil housing for a long time, but didn't notice anything besides the anti-drain-back valve, which is held closed mechanically by the filter itself. If you think about it, there would need to be a third line running back to the pan, and the stock system doesn't have that. Another thought is that the oil pump is very high-volume, and the Canton filter doesn't have sufficient flow capacity (after all, the stock filter is something you'd find on a diesel pickup). But it *is* a racing oil filter, often found in conjunction with blue-printed, high-volume pumps. Dunno.

If you're using the 5-speed, then the same driveshaft used in an S52/ZF swap would work. I believe that is an e36 96+ 328i assembly. It's been a while, so I can't remember if we used an e30 center bearing, or the entire assembly from a 328i. Our engine is placed such that the rear facing coolant manifold nipple is within 1/4" of the firewall.

-Bruce

Comment

Working...
                X