No announcement yet.

New lock strip on windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done this so many times, it's not funny - only had one break, re-used them on all the race cars. Can use string to pull them in, but I always had better luck using a plastic stick made for it, can do them with a new strip in about 45mins, little longer when they are old and dry. Silicone helps a ton.

I got one for my 86 OEM strip from Blunt for my personal car, chrome to match the original - 3yrs in the FL heat and it still looked perfect when the car was totaled :(. Pulled it and have it on a shelf for a later date.

Little trick if you are just re-spraying. Remove the lock strip and push the gasket back, paint the car, then put the strip back in and the gasket will cover the edge of the new paint. Looks and lasts better than taping the gasket :)
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Rock Auto has it for $30....??? Gotta be aftermarket.

Bimmerworld $61.
      Blunt $68
      Most dealers are 70-ish +.

Rock Auto # WLSF464C from manufacturer "Precision."
      Last edited by LateFan; 12-16-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

By chance does anyone know the part number, or if its available, for a black rear lock strip plus corners?

I used the black lock strip for the front and really like the look.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
          By chance does anyone know the part number, or if its available, for a black rear lock strip plus corners?

I used the black lock strip for the front and really like the look.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

If it helps anyone, we bought the aftermarket lock strip cheap from RockAuto. Delivered quickly. Safelite put the windshield in easy peasy, $175 with coupon. Make your appt on-line and it's a bit cheaper. He said the lock strip was slightly smaller and the closure strip didn't fit over it, so he glued the butt ends without it - they fit tight together. Glass is also sealed into the rubber gasket per Safelite policy. Happy with the outcome.

Comment

I replaced the chrome strip on the windshield of my '86. I use a genuine BMW strip, my car is always covered or garaged and after 3 years it is already starting to turn brown. I'm disappointed to say the least. My car is a DD so it sees weather but I would have expected this to last much longer.

Anyone out here have experience with replacements that actually last? I like the chrome look on the car but if I have to replace it every 3 years I'll seriously consider going black.

Comment

A couple months ago I had a brand new genuine BMW black locking stripped installed along with a genuine seal and genuine windshield. While the car spends most of its time in the garage, everything has held up great so far. I replaced the locking strip because the old black one was showing its age.
                Originally posted by Sonny
                I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Working...
                X