How long does your M20 take to warm up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does your M20 take to warm up?

I haven't had my 325 for very long but when it was a little warmer outside (50F-80F) I could get up to operating temp in a reasonable amount of time.

Now that it is colder (20F-40F) I will just barely reach operating temp. after my 20 minute commute which consists of 15 min. of city traffic and 5 min of freeway driving. (keeping the revs below 2500 until OP. Temp.)

My other car (Toyota) has an aluminum block + head and will reach operating temp. after 10 minutes, or halfway through my commute which seems normal.

I know my M20 is an iron block and will take longer to warm up due to the properties of iron. I wanted to see what it takes to get your car up to operating temp. when it is cold outside. to see whether it is worth replacing the thermostat or not.

my cabbie reaches a good temp in 10 minutes of back county road driving, but i also rev it up to 4k. probably not the best way to treat my engine, but if it breaks then i will just have to start the s52 swap.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

87is here and my car is pretty consistent in its warm up time, it takes about 6-10m of casual driving from morning start. I always keep it below 3k before it's warmed up.

(OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO) ///Motorsport
      In this world, things aren't black & white. Its Delphin!

Parts, Buy Them--> http://picasaweb.google.com/transatl...eat=directlink

Snowboard & video game stuff --> http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=148645

Originally posted by Steve92E34
      Your car is breathing my air, and so are you.
      AND you are both still slow

Comment

florida right now winter time.. ~5min. ^^ good idea on the swap. the sooner you do it, the more time you'll enjoy it ; /
        No more e30s for me.
        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
        91 BMW 325i [sold]
        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Mine is similar, takes longer here in winter, but just seems to be the way it goes. You could try a new t-stat to see if it helps. 20 minutes seems excessive.

Comment

20 minutes is excessive, and will kill your fuel economy.

A new thermostat would be a good idea.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

About 5 minutes in 40F ambients. It sounds like your thermostat may be stuck partially open and/or the fan clutch has seized. Replace the thermostat with an 80C unit and check the fan clutch.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

about 5 minutes, then the heat actually starts blowing hot air
                -Andy

Comment

^this...
                  -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDE View Post
                    ^this...
                    ^this^
                    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                    DaveCN = Old Man
                    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

^^^that^^^

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Reviving this old thread.

Lately I've been having problems reaching operating temperature on my M20.
                        My commute isn't that long but yesterday evening, I went out for a drive, roughly 30min.

This is where the temp needles sits, won't go any higher..

According to my OBC it was 7°C outside. The thermostat got replaced 3-4 months ago with a Gates 80°C one.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I do have a new Behr stat but haven't swapped it out since I first wanted to get your suggestions. What esle could be causing this.
                        1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I have the same exact problem with my car too (although its an M50 swapped with an electric fan).... It takes forever to reach optimal temperature.I also tried to change the Tstat with a Behr 80c and installed a new water pump because the old one was leaking. Radiator is from E36 M42... hope someone can help us!
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by PshlosE30 View Post
                            I have the same exact problem with my car too (although its an M50 swapped with an electric fan).... It takes forever to reach optimal temperature.I also tried to change the Tstat with a Behr 80c and installed a new water pump because the old one was leaking. Radiator is from E36 M42... hope someone can help us!
                            Yeah, it's weird. My uncle also has an iX Touring. When it's summer mine willl reach just the halfway mark between 1/4 and 1/2. While his sits happily on the 1/2 mark. This was when I did the timing belt and T-stat on both cars. Identical parts etc.
                            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

A lot of users on this forum live in warmer climate. In the winter region when the temp is around freezing, it is normal for the temp needle to go up to only 1/4 of the gauge. Yes, mpg goes down as compared to summer driving (24 vs. 27 mpg average for me).

Comment

Working...
                              X