Front diff replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front diff replacement

Hey guys, my front diff blew up on me last summer and I’ve been trying to find a replacement all winter without any luck at all. Does anyone have a source for a new manual (3.91) diff or know where I can get the parts to repair mine?
    sigpic

1989 325IX
    1989 325I Sold

I have one I might be willing to sell. I bought used off these forums about 2 years ago thinking I had a bad front diff, which turned out not to be the case. PM me to discuss.
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

brand new or new to you new?

They're out there. check ebay etc. Not as common as they used to be unfortunately.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I meant new to me haha.

Pm sent
        sigpic

1989 325IX
        1989 325I Sold

Comment

What does "blew up" mean? Yours isn't rebuildable?

Comment

I blew the spider gears out of the bottom cover out of my front diff. Sure, I guess it's rebuildable. But where I am going to find replacement spider gears and a diff cover? It's just easier to get another diff.

I sent mine to nando and now it's a mock up piece. Good use for it I think.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Yeah you basically can't get any of the parts so rebuilding it seems far fetched.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                Yeah you basically can't get any of the parts so rebuilding it seems far fetched.
                Do they still make the seals and stuff for the front differential or no?

Comment

Maybe, I haven't looked in a while. But you if you can't get any of the bearings, gears and shims I don't know what good new seals will do.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bearings, seals and shims are standard pieces... spider gears and carriers not so much.

Comment

I was asking about the seals for anyone else who may be searching for an answer to their problems. I know it looks like mine could use new seals

Comment

Working...
                      X