No announcement yet.

V8 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how bout a 4bt swap or a cummins 24v 6cyl?

Comment

Cummins swap would be the shit. But it would destroy the poor e30 it went in.
      84 318I Delphin RIP
      87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
      89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

you know how much a cummins 24v weighs? you can feel the weight in a 1 ton truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
          Everyone does what he / she wants but i see no reason swapping an ancient engine in your car. Even though it's cheap and you can buy all kind of parts for it (which only take it up to 80hp/l where many proper engines are when leaving the factory).

If you want to go fast, swap M50 turbo. If you want good economy, swap M52. And if you really want those antique pushrods, pay ridicilous 150$ for a book and swap the engine in..
          Cammed ls1 > turbo m52
          84 318I Delphin RIP
          89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
            you know how much a cummins 24v weighs? you can feel the weight in a 1 ton truck.
            Yes I know all about the cummins. That's why I said id feel sorry for the e30 it went in. The car wouldn't be able to handle it at all.
            84 318I Delphin RIP
            89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

i know huh a cummin would eat an e30 imagine the guibo LOL.. thats why i think a 4bt is more reasonable

Comment

Originally posted by njansenv View Post
                LOL. I'll concede your point about the 5.0, but LSx? Compared to a "modern" (20 year old) M50???? Yeah right.
                I expect next your going to tell me that C6's use antique suspension technology compared to your trailing arm/mac strut e30?
                :D
                Nathan

Yes, compared to M50-M52-M54 those LSx pushrods are ancient. Variable valve timing, variable intake manifold length etc are things that USA:s car industry seems not to know about.

And Cummins diesels, well, how would i put this. They're heavy, unefficient and make way too much NOx.

Sorry, but only thing that is good on american engines (or cars) is the cheapness. Absolutely nothing else.
                - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                - E46 318i Touring -
                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

M62 makes a fine boat anchor. Pushrods ftmfw

Yes, compared to M50-M52-M54 those LSx pushrods are ancient. Variable valve timing, variable intake manifold length etc are things that USA:s car industry seems not to know about.

Comment

And Cummins diesels, well, how would i put this. They're heavy, unefficient and make way too much NOx.

Sorry, but only thing that is good on american engines (or cars) is the cheapness. Absolutely nothing else.

OK what ever:loco:
                    84 318I Delphin RIP
                    89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Yes, sorry that this topic is going pretty much to other things but one more question; what is the benefit of swapping american V8 instead of european /japanese V8, if costs are disregarded?
                      - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                      - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                      - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                      - E46 318i Touring -
                      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

I have a friend with a 4.4l M62 in his E30. It isnt any faster than my S52 car. For all of the extra effort (fabrication etc.) there's no way I would put an M60/62 in one of my cars. I'm a BMW tech and I'd still lean towards the Chevy motor if I wanted a V8.

Comment

Yes, sorry that this topic is going pretty much to other things but one more question; what is the benefit of swapping american V8 instead of european /japanese V8, if costs are disregarded?
                          Compact, simple and you can even say light v8 with lots of power/torque and lots more still available. It just works, as proven by their use in C5/C6 vettes, and those are plenty fast, and even get great mpg in top gear.
                          Last edited by Jean; 09-24-2009, 05:58 AM.
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

The Cummins engines are one of the more efficient engines made.

What the heck are you talking about?!?

But anyway that's a dumb swap.

While I prefer the BMW V8 swap, the LS1 is a better engine. The end. (I would just rather keep it all BMW)
                            sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Everyone does what he / she wants but i see no reason swapping an ancient engine in your car. Even though it's cheap and you can buy all kind of parts for it (which only take it up to 80hp/l where many proper engines are when leaving the factory).

If you want to go fast, swap M50 turbo. If you want good economy, swap M52. And if you really want those antique pushrods, pay ridicilous 150$ for a book and swap the engine in..
                              Why the hating on pushrods? That technology results in a compact, simple engine with a fantastic power-to-weight ratio, great reliability, much fewer parts, and easier modding (for example 1 cam instead of 4 (DOHC vee). I daily drive an S52 E30 - it's still not enough displacement, and I would gladly swap in an LSx engine if I had the money and could pay someone else to turn-key it for me.
                              "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Originally posted by coolasacuc View Post
                                dont be gay.

keep the 5.0s and ls1 in the cars they came in.
                                your mom should have kept you in egg form.

this thread has a bunch of BS going back and forth. how many LS1 e30's are they? hey, about an LS6, or an LS7? your talking about 500+ HP 400+ TQ stock. imagine a supercharger, which WILL fit. your options are endless.

so unless you have driven a LS1 powered e30, or turbo m5x/s5x or anything better, keep your mouth shut.
                                Last edited by slow e30; 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X