Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, still no solutions for working ABS on e36 5-lug??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, still no solutions for working ABS on e36 5-lug??

Just checking back in, My 5-lug setup has seen over 60 000kms and is perfect, but for a winter project It would be cool if it was possible to get the ABS working, even though there are no sensors for the 1.5 years i've been 5-lug the light hasn't come on once - I'm not complaining:)

Anybody get it working?

I just connected the wires and my ABS works great. I pulled the front wheel speed sensors out of a 1992 325i and there was only two wires so I just connected the wires. In the rear I am using Z3 I6 hubs so I just reused my e30 stuff back there.

If you didn't have ABS before the swap the relay for ABS could be shot. Before I did the swap I didn't have ABS so I looked into it on here and descovered that there is a wire that usually does away inside the ABS relay. I opened mine up, found the dead wire, soldered a new piece of wire in place of the dead one, and ABS worked great right before I did my 5 lug.
    Last edited by HellzMindPlaya; 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM. Reason: More better information!
    sigpic
    e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

the e36 works but the e36 m3 doesn't as of the moment. The m3 has double the number of teeth that the e30 does.
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I have the e36 M3 stuff up front, seems to work just fine, guess I will need to go slam on my brakes again to make sure... problems is that I have to get moving pretty quick these brakes are fantastic, so if I go to slow I don't have much time to feel for the pulsing pedal.

The car was pretty controllable from the 30-40 mph stop that I just did, pedal pulsed as it should have, no tires broke loose as best I can tell. Seems to work for me.
        Last edited by HellzMindPlaya; 10-02-2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: Slaming on brakes is fun.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HellzMindPlaya View Post
          I just connected the wires and my ABS works great. I pulled the front wheel speed sensors out of a 1992 325i and there was only two wires so I just connected the wires. In the rear I am using Z3 I6 hubs so I just reused my e30 stuff back there.

If you didn't have ABS before the swap the relay for ABS could be shot. Before I did the swap I didn't have ABS so I looked into it on here and descovered that there is a wire that usually does away inside the ABS relay. I opened mine up, found the dead wire, soldered a new piece of wire in place of the dead one, and ABS worked great right before I did my 5 lug.

You may think it works great, but it can't be. ABS module reads front speed to be double of rear speed. I am not 100% sure how it effects overall brakes, but there has to be a problem...

Comment

You would think that if it was a problem that it would make the pedal pulse even when the wheels are not locking up. I only feel it pulse when I am hard on the brakes, only when it should. It's doing its job, keeping the wheels from locking.:???:
            sigpic

Comment

Cool, I will try it today, maybe it really is that simple. My e36 ABS sensors are already spliced for e30 plug.

Comment

How many wires do you have on your e36 Speed sensors? I only had 2, but I think I read somewhere someone had 3? Maybe because I only have 2 wires it is different?
                sigpic

Comment

rear e36 ones had 3, because their speedometer sensor is wired in there. Also cars with traction systems had 3 wires all around. My e36 ones came from a 92 325i, and had only 2 wires in the fronts. In the rear I am running stock e30 sensors.

Comment

my brake pedal farts every time i come to a stop, i'm guessing because of this issue. should i disconnect the abs relay? is the abs faulty and kicking in way too soon?

occasionally the abs light comes on and the abs is off, no pedal farting. otherwise it seems like the abs is doing its job just fine...
                    http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

take all of the sensors out. ABS lights comes on and system turns itself off on it's on the first time you rev over 4000 in any gear. That's what mine did, right before I plugged everything in.

Comment

ok, so remove sensors, and after revving it above 4k ABS will shut off? that sounds kind of weird but i guess i'll try that.
                        http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

I just drove mine without the front sensors connected after the 5 lug swap for a while. When I finally got a set of 92 e36 front sensors I just put them in the M3 front knuckles, and wired them up (I just used butt connectors) and then went out and tested the system. Everything worked just fine. I really wanted it to work so that I could blead the air out of the system. I changed to SS brake lines when I went 5 lug, which induced a lot of air into the system. If the light is on and nothing works just check to make sure the relay is still good. Mine was dead before I did the swap, so I pulled it and had to solder in a new wire inplace of a dead one inside the relay. Work great before, works even better now!
                          Last edited by HellzMindPlaya; 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

i plugged up sensors and everything seems to work, but pedal feels a bit soft. I will rebleed my brakes tomorrow.

Comment

Did you pedal get soft just from plugging in the sensors? I have noticed that after the swap, even with my ss lines, that the pedal just never has felt right. I always thought it might be because I have air in the ABS unit. After I got the ABS sensors in the car I went and activated the ABS a few times, and the pedal got a little better, just still not what I expected.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X