No announcement yet.

e36 brakes on e36m3 spindles???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i guess I'll wonder same results with using e32/e34 brakes?

Comment

Other option for those who don't want to use m3 parts but wish big brakes:

e46 330i/330d brakes bolt on to e36 non M spindle.

They are yet bigger than e36 m3 brakes, so again the 17" wheel is required.
      Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
      BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
      BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Thanks for posting the drawings. That clarifies a lot for those of us without parts in hand!!

Comment

Soooo... theortically speaking, if one was to use M3 spindles and Non-M brakes, how thick would the spacer between the caliper bracket and knuckle have to be?? I really want to run 15's and save a bunch of cash by not using the M3 brakes, which are crazy expen$ive here in the Fatherland. I can have the machine shop fabricate a spacer. I would measure myself but have no M3 spindle.
          -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Originally posted by craz azn View Post
            ^ That's correct! I'll show you. I took these pics about a year ago for some of the guys on our local forum. Don't mind the labels, that shit was for something else.

I don't get why you need m3 spindles to get correct caster? From that pic it should be the same. Something wrong there or is it all in the control arm? I'd like to run non M e36 brakes as well

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDE View Post
              Soooo... theortically speaking, if one was to use M3 spindles and Non-M brakes, how thick would the spacer between the caliper bracket and knuckle have to be?? I really want to run 15's and save a bunch of cash by not using the M3 brakes, which are crazy expen$ive here in the Fatherland. I can have the machine shop fabricate a spacer. I would measure myself but have no M3 spindle.
              No workie. Different cercle for the caliper mounts...
              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerboy02 View Post
                I don't get why you need m3 spindles to get correct caster? From that pic it should be the same. Something wrong there or is it all in the control arm? I'd like to run non M e36 brakes as well

Look at where the lower ball joint centerline is on the M-spindle, it's further back and sits just left of the strut-mounting hole, pushing the spindle foreward what appears to be about 10mm. Now look at the non-M spindle, the ball joint centerline sits just to right(or to the front of vehicle), pulling the spindle back, creating the 'non-M3 spindle' off-center wheel.
                -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

you and I both, but I think I've cursed myself with giant brakes :p

PS: I now have both spindles in hand and I'll take detailed pics and do what craz-azn did. I thinks it's a great contribution and would further help people.

Comment

Ok that makes sense now. Lee is that just in regards to euro m3 brakes(brembo monoblocks right?) or do non M e36 also not bolt to m3 spindles?

Comment

Ok that makes sense now. Lee is that just in regards to euro m3 brakes(brembo monoblocks right?) or do non M e36 also not bolt to m3 spindles?
                      The calipers were the same on all e36 M3s. The lousy sliding ones... Certainly no monoblock Brembo GTR there. Unless you bought one of my limited edition e36 M3 kits... $2800 + pads with used GTR Brembos.

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Hmm I could have sworn I heard about them around these parts as to having essentially modified to fit 986 boxster monoblocks.

E30 m3 brakes have the same pattern though correct? So could a simple spacer be made to fit them? Even if just for a winter setup

Comment

I know for a fact that e32 740 and e34 540 caliper brackets will bolt to the 96+ m3 spindles, And i think that the m3 calipers will bolt to the 540 caliper brackets. I don"t know if the offset of the disk to the center of the caliper will be correct. Id be willing to send the OP my caliper brackets for the cost of shipping if you'd like to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                            i guess I'll wonder same results with using e32/e34 brakes?
                            is it possible to run e34 brakes? caliper bracket and caliper

Comment

Hmmm....way back my dad put E36 M front brakes on his '95 318ti knuckles. He drew sketches/measurements of the modifications needed. Let me see if I can dig that up and scan it. The info might not apply directly to you Art but may be useful for the 5-lug crowd in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                                No workie. Different cercle for the caliper mounts...

I'm not doubting what you say...but why exactly is an adapter bracket not going to work when trying to fit M-brakes to non-M knuckle??

Comment

Working...
                                X