Subframe spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
    I'm not telling him to not use spacers, I'm just making the point that if you don't need them, why add them? The exhaust is a pain in the ass either way, there is only one strut tower brace that fits with the spacers, but you can make your own that fits without them (you have to make half the swap anyways, why not). And you say bumpsteer is minimally affected, but you think that 20mm down 4' in front of the pinion is important? It comes out to like 1 or 2 degrees, which you can almost make up by mounting the transmission as high as it will go. 20mm down suspension-wise is almost the same as a 1" drop, which is quite a bit if you already have a reasonable sized drop and WILL increase bumpsteer.

Once again, I'm not saying DO THIS ONLY, I'm just stating facts about the other way to do it. I'm of the "if its not broke, dont fix it" mindset, and while the spacers may be the best way to do it, there is nothing wrong with not using them.

The one problem I have had is it wears the guibo slightly quicker. But, I have 20,000 miles on my swap and it's just starting to crack, so I can deal with it. That's 20k of abuse too.
    I don't disagree... enough said about the pro's and cons. 20K since you did your swap? That's impressive, especially since you say you didn't drive it lightly. I'm jealous... I wish I could have driven mine even just 20 miles at this point, Lol! It'll be great to get it done, but it's been a long haul to this point...

Garey

Comment

Informative thread is informative. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

very good points made here but Im sticking with my spacers, I have a little more to think about on top of my motor then most other people,

(spacers are not installed at the time of this photo)
        Anything can be done

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerScreamer View Post
          very good points made here but Im sticking with my spacers, I have a little more to think about on top of my motor then most other people,

(spacers are not installed at the time of this photo)
          So, quit being so cryptic, lol... more info on the ITB setup you're running. I want to go this route, as well...

Garey

Comment

nothing to special, they are S62 throttle bodies. They are not a straight bolt on but the ports line up so that's the crucial part. I have not yet figured out how I will bolt them down, its not that high on the priority list right now. Probably will be something of a clap down style since the throttle use twice as many bolts as the plastic manifold
            Anything can be done

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerScreamer View Post
              nothing to special, they are S62 throttle bodies. They are not a straight bolt on but the ports line up so that's the crucial part. I have not yet figured out how I will bolt them down, its not that high on the priority list right now. Probably will be something of a clap down style since the throttle use twice as many bolts as the plastic manifold
              I see, said the blind man. I'm looking at the VAC ITB setup on mine, but if a set of S62 bodies came my way, I think I'd have to jump on them. I'd be interested to see more of how you're tackling this endeavor...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                I see, said the blind man. I'm looking at the VAC ITB setup on mine, but if a set of S62 bodies came my way, I think I'd have to jump on them. I'd be interested to see more of how you're tackling this endeavor...

Garey

that's exactly what i was thinking but a offer to good to pass up showed up for me, so hey why not. I also like to keep things OE when I can, not that VAC isnt top notch
                Anything can be done

Comment

Working...
                X