• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automotivetouchup.com Paint Review

So long story short...
    Went to BMW of South Atlanta, ordered a new OEM Late Model Front Panel
    *Ripped me a new one $$ but I wanted new LOL

I then bought paint from automotivetouchup.com
    Takes almost a month to get to your house.
    1 can of basecoat is $20
    ( you choose the year, make, and model then color code)
    Shipping is about $8-$10

Took a dual piano stand and set the front panel on it.

Scuffed with a grey scuff pad
    *I used about 2-3 full length pads

Degreased / Prep Solvent

Flexible Primer 2in1 for Metal and Plastic Bumpers
    (recommended by local auto paint supply store)

Let it dry overnight

Sanded with 600 grit

OCD tack cloth attack cleaning every part of the panel

Set the bumper in my driveway directly in the sun, no wind.

Used 2 cans for the panel, front and back.
    (nice even coats, not too thick.)

Flashed between coats 5-7 minutes
    *may change depending on the weather*

On Final coat I let it sit in the sun for about 30 minutes

CAREFULLY! used a tack cloth to take any bugs or dirt

Then used 1 can of Spray Max 2k Clear Coat

I got about 3-5 good wet coats on the front and back

Put the panel back in the garage and let it stay there for a couple days since I had work.

**I did check up on it every day carefully using those blue shops towels to take off any dirt that may have landed.

I used NO type of heater or heat lamp. I have a crappy non insulated garage so i depended on my weather app to see how the weather would be. Gotta work with what ya got.

----
    The clear coat looks amazing! It doesn't feel soft at all, nice and clear. Barely any orange peel, I still am going to wet sand and buff later on.

I think for bumper repair or panel repair this is a good investment. Barely to no crazy over spray. It is containable and easy to use with high quality results.

I have a hood, OEM IS Lip, OEM IS Side skirts I will be painting as well with this stuff, will post when completed.

http://www.bornfrompassion.net/

Comment

The shitty part is where it connects to the fenders near the grill. If you're not careful you will scratch the paint.

Comment

That came out nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        323i MTEC1
        Z3 coupe
        E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
          The shitty part is where it connects to the fenders near the grill. If you're not careful you will scratch the paint.
          It actually didn't scratch or anything. Paint held up fine, nothing came out shitty.

Comment

No offense intended just using my limited third grade vocabulary

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
              No offense intended just using my limited third grade vocabulary
              oh none taken! just saying that this paint actually works since my paint guns made too much over spray and too much of a hassle

Comment

Looks good man, the 2 dealers in my city told me that e30 valence's are no longer available wtf...
                sigpic
                Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
                1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
                Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Wow, looks great. I have used these guys in the past with great results. I am doing a plastic bumper swap, and thought about doing it with the cans, instead of pulling out my spray gun, and making a huge mess with overspray. I have never used the 2k clear though. Wondering how it will hold up.

Is this alpine white or white 2? Hows it match?

Jay

Comment

Looks really good! Did you use their premixed rattle cans, or cans of sprayable paint with an HVLP gun or similar?
                    Tom - 85 325e for sale

Comment

Originally posted by 613EDRTY View Post
                      Looks good man, the 2 dealers in my city told me that e30 valence's are no longer available wtf...
                      I went to BMW of south Atlanta's part website and ordered it from there. HOWEVER just be ready to pay a pretty penny. It's almost $300 for the balance and I got charged $175 to ship it and took about a month and a half for me to get it. They were spot on in emailing and keeping me updated on the status of the valance. They said they had to ship it from another warehouse. Their really good at shipping quality parts at the BMW dealer. My IS side skirts got a scratch so they emailed me saying their swapping it out for a better condition side skirt that was coming from Germany lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dunebuggyjay View Post
                        Wow, looks great. I have used these guys in the past with great results. I am doing a plastic bumper swap, and thought about doing it with the cans, instead of pulling out my spray gun, and making a huge mess with overspray. I have never used the 2k clear though. Wondering how it will hold up.

Is this alpine white or white 2? Hows it match?

Jay
                        2K clear seems to be holding up fine. I've had the valance and lip on driving around daily for about two weeks now, no issue or easy chips. Just your normal bugs lol.
                        I used Alpine II (218) since I have a late model. The color seems a tiny bit more cream white than pure white, my car's paint is old so it's hard to match 12+ years old paint. You can't really tell unless you stare at it and look at the car in the right lighting. I'm planning on respraying the entire car, most likely with a spray gun so it's quicker. But the orange peel is minimal , color match? Well just remember your spraying down the actual paint code that's new paint, when your cars paint is 15+ years old. But it's not too much of a difference that you would be embarrassed to be seen in. Not even really noticeable to be honest.

The 2K Clear holds up good just spray good wet even coats, my finger was starting to hurt so I got a few runs on my hood but not too bad, I will be wet sanding it in about a month but I'm currently driving daily with my painted good as well, holds up well. Just dead bugs on my hood lol

Comment

Originally posted by tspangle88 View Post
                          Looks really good! Did you use their premixed rattle cans, or cans of sprayable paint with an HVLP gun or similar?

I used the premixed rattle cans. At first I really doubted the quality of it being that it's in a spray can I quickly got reminded about crappy dupli paint. So I decided to actually give it a try after reading the minimal to no reviews on it. The spray pattern is good, the tip doesn't clog up and start squirting everywhere. It even smells like actual automotive paint it's strong. It covers your area where you spray good with minimal orange peel.

I didn't use the HVLP gun with the cans they sold since my air compressor had water inside and I'm too lazy to recover my entire garage with tarps to avoid overspray all over my stuff

Comment

Ay fellow 707 living in the south!
                            My 1990 325is Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ksjdan View Post
                              Ay fellow 707 living in the south!
                              Sorry for the late reply! But YUP 707 !! Keeping the E30's alive

Comment

Working...
                              X