From end clunk diagnosis/ball joint orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From end clunk diagnosis/ball joint orientation

Started noticing some wobbly like sounds when going around curves to the left coming from front pass side. On inspection noticed outer ball joint movement and ripped boot. Also ripped boot on tie rod.

Replaced outer ball joint (not easy) and tie rod (Ocap). Still getting hard clunk over small bumps in road. Hard to tell if the inner ball joint is good or bad. Doesn't apprear to be ripped.

I'm pretty sure I installed the outer ball joint the correct way and as the other side is oriented with the notches pointing fore and aft. Can anyone else verify that?

Suspension is Ground control set up with Bilstein HD's/Eibach #400 springs.

Any ideas?
    sigpic

Could it be from the steering column? There is some part of the column that is under the dash that commonly clunks in e30s. I don't remember what part to tighten but it's worth looking into.
    1990 M3
    1991 325iX
    1991 M5
    1999 M3C
    2003 M5
    2012 X5 35d

Comment

Strut / strut bearing / steering u-joint / steering linkage / steering lock + ignition cylinder assembly. All of those can also clunk.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I have a "clunk" on my right side, over smallish bump, I think it's my wheel bearing but haven't had time to replace it yet. Decent amount of play when I changed my snows on

Comment

yeah my guess is its prob the steering u-joint on the column. Wouldn't hurt to tighten that large nut on the column as well.
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

So I went to the local shop to do the alignment after I replaced the ball joint and tie rod. Asked them to put it up on the rack to check and test drive first. They said everything was tight and in good shape, U joint in steering was fine. Test drive found no clunk or bang as it really was. WTF. He said its possible that maybe when I lowered it down things didnt seat correctly. Does that make any sense?

Either way I guess its good news
            sigpic

Comment

Yep.

To anyone experiencing a clunk or click in their front suspension. Obviously something is not right. I've been down this road many times in the years past. The fastest fix is to take the struts completely off the car and start over. You do it enough times and it takes 15 minutes, tops.

Things to note:
              Any wear marks on your strut hats? They've collapsed, replace them.
              Are your washers and strut mount assembled properly? Smear every component with moly while you're at it.
              Make sure your end links are tight, they're easily missed
              Be careful with your lollipop control arm bolts, they're unsupported for an inch and thus easily snap
              Missing your boots on the steering u-joint? Spray it down with pb blaster, rotate it a whole bunch, spray it again, more rotate. Don't forget to soak with a lubricant (teflon based is good) afterwards. Pb blaster will dry up.
              Put everything back with antiseize.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
              X