No announcement yet.

No seriously, V8 Swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stefan, how do you know the hood scoop is non functional?

That motor is tits. I can't believe how much more space it leaves you with than the BMW V8's do. I bet that engine is cheaper, lighter, and makes more power than most of the BMW V8 swaps also.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
      That motor is tits. I can't believe how much more space it leaves you with than the BMW V8's do. I bet that engine is cheaper, lighter, and makes more power than most of the BMW V8 swaps also.
      OMFG...an open mind...here in R3V?

Northstar. Aluminum block, 300HP stock, reasonably cheap, bolts to a T-5 or T-56...a fuckload of torque...sweet exhaust note.

Germany should forget the V8 alltogether. They just don't understand.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Now that's an interesting strut bar. Anyone have any details on it? I would assume it's an AKG design or copy?

Comment

I forgot to mention the exhaust note to boot.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
            OMFG...an open mind...here in R3V?

Northstar. Aluminum block, 300HP stock, reasonably cheap, bolts to a T-5 or T-56...a fuckload of torque...sweet exhaust note.

Germany should forget the V8 alltogether. They just don't understand.

Luke
            I like the Northstar, from what I know, I think they have the overhead valves so they rev a lot better than a regular pushrod v8

Comment

the ls1 is about 100lbs lighter than an m50 even, and has a lower center of gravity than the m60.

I'm all for keeping a bmw a bmw, but when you want a rocket, small blocks seem to be the way to go.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
              On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
              BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

the chevy 350 is so easy to mod also, w/ part that easy and a lot of the small block parts are interchangable, really hard to beat how cheap they are

Comment

Originally posted by 318isbmw
                  I like the Northstar, from what I know, I think they have the overhead valves so they rev a lot better than a regular pushrod v8

I am thinking you mean overhead CAM...not valve.

Northstars are pushrod, with hydraulic roller lifters. Overhead valve too, but few internal combustion 4 cycle engines today aren't.

Old school small blocks are easy to mod, but not so the Northstar. Different everything, virtually no manifolds available, no heads either. What that means is that no one has done your R&D for you...gonna be BIG bux to make seriuos power.

But with 300 HP stock (and gets 22 MPG in a 4000lb cad-dil-iac) who cares? 100,000 mile tune ups, one of the quietest motors ever made, too.

Drain all of the oil and all of the coolant out of one, you can still drive it for 200 miles before it blows up.

Weighs about 100 pounds lighter than an M20, too.

/gm motor rant

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Stefan, how do you know the hood scoop is non functional?

If you pull the pants off an LS1 and compare it to a BMW you'll see why they are cheaper and lighter than the BMW V8- the engineering on these engines is REALLY average,especially the crap oil system in the sump/block, consisting of some nasty bits of pipe bent into some nasty shapes, and bad mismatching of passageways etc. - definitely a case of being built to a (low) price.

Comment

Originally posted by conrod
                      If you pull the pants off an LS1 and compare it to a BMW you'll see why they are cheaper and lighter than the BMW V8- the engineering on these engines is REALLY average,especially the crap oil system in the sump/block, consisting of some nasty bits of pipe bent into some nasty shapes, and bad mismatching of passageways etc. - definitely a case of being built to a (low) price.
                      Yet they still out perform BMW V8's, are lighter, are cheaper, and probably last as long if not longer?

RISING EDGE

Comment

Yet they still out perform BMW V8's, are lighter, are cheaper, and probably last as long if not longer?
                        Lighter and cheaper yes-four camshafts,associated valve gear and heads are always going to be heavier, as well as more costly to produce.
                        Last longer- debatable,how many BMW's have you seen with odometer readings like telephone numbers, on the original engine?
                        Outperform-the higher spec ones might be on a par with the S62,but only by virtue of their larger capacity, per cc the BMW engine has a higher power output. I suppose it comes down to this,if you are after the biggest bang for your buck, then the LS1 is going to be hard to beat. And if you don't mind building a "hot rod" then I can see the appeal too. But to me BMW has always been about engineering excellence, and to put in an engine from another manufacturer whose design is basically 50 or so years old is just wrong, and to this end I would rather keep a BMW 100% BMW, engine included. If you want an LS1, go and buy a Corvette or Monaro

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmike
                          keep it in the family

Or not.

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by conrod
                            Lighter and cheaper yes-four camshafts,associated valve gear and heads are always going to be heavier, as well as more costly to produce.
                            Last longer- debatable,how many BMW's have you seen with odometer readings like telephone numbers, on the original engine?
                            Outperform-the higher spec ones might be on a par with the S62,but only by virtue of their larger capacity, per cc the BMW engine has a higher power output. I suppose it comes down to this,if you are after the biggest bang for your buck, then the LS1 is going to be hard to beat. And if you don't mind building a "hot rod" then I can see the appeal too. But to me BMW has always been about engineering excellence, and to put in an engine from another manufacturer whose design is basically 50 or so years old is just wrong, and to this end I would rather keep a BMW 100% BMW, engine included. If you want an LS1, go and buy a Corvette or Monaro
                            Well stated, and I agree with you. Thank you for remaining so civil and explaining yourself, I was a bit harsh. I wish all newbies were as level headed and knowledgable as you. Welcome to r3v.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Well stated, and I agree with you. Thank you for remaining so civil and explaining yourself, I was a bit harsh. I wish all newbies were as level headed and knowledgable as you. Welcome to r3v.
                              Thank you for your kind words. I am also old and ugly enough to realise that my opinion is only that, MY opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Building/modifying a car is a personal experience, and at the end of the the day, it all comes down to whatever the criteria you set yourself, and "whatever spins your wheels" (literally in this case!)

Comment

LS1 is an awesome motor, even if it is stone-age. It's light, powerful, and small enough to fit in a lot of cars.

I wouldn't put one in an E30 though. I'd put it in a FC RX-7. It's a lot more documented and the car is balanced 50/50 and has better suspension.

I'd just keep E30s what they are good at. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X