X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1

OMFG...an open mind...here in R3V?
    +
    Germany should forget the V8 alltogether. They just don't understand.

Luke
    Huh? E39 M5, AMG 55s, Audi S lines are all awesome engines,
    as are the US ones in their own right, just different strokes for different folks hehe, IMO

Love the E30, love the frankenstein swaps, you can go buy LS1 factory powered car but im guessing that E30 would be a whole lot more fun to drive than GTO etc

Old skool fool

Comment

Conrod and digitalwave... bravo on civil discourse. I thought this was going to turn into a crap shoot.

You can get an LS1 + Tremec T56 6-speed for $6000 in good shape. A bit of tweaking and you are looking at converting that LS1 to an LS6, which does a bit over 400hp. Its pretty much the only domestic engine swap I like in BMWs and that install is the epidomey of clean. Fucking nice. I have been wrestling with doing this swap with my M6, but instead I am going to go for a TCD Stage 2 E34 M30 into the M6 because I already have the engine and tranny lying around.

BMW has a lot to do with engineering finesse. But if you are looking for a hot rod that is going to turn a lot of heads then doing this swap is pure money... I gotta love it.

The Northstar, just to interject, is an ok engine from afar but a real mess to take care of. For staters they actually placed the starter INSIDE the engine block. You have to take off the intake manifold and some other stuff to get at it. The heat from the engine cooks the starters too so its a frequent problem. To me the LS1/LS6 is a gorgeous engine and one of the reasons why push rod engines shouldn't be discounted. Its a proven technology by those who know how to do them right :cough: Chevy :cough:

I just got passed last night near Miami in a very nice read 325is and I have to say I was doing 90mph in a S420 V8 Mercedes and the driver had no problem pulling away from me. BMW isn't the ultimate driving machine, other wise we wouldn't be modifying them as much as we are... but to me driving passion is so many different things. BMW engine make so much more power per liter because thats where they put their money. Its also an expensive place to put your money.

Maybe I should do something really insane and get a 1969 Chevy Camaro and put an E39 M5 motor in it. I think that would alienate just about everyone. Hahaha...

Comment

Jared, that's pretty ballsy for the M6 swap... props.

What are you doing in Miami? You should have hit me up. I'm 40 minutes north. Was the 325iS an E30 with diving boards? If so, it has an M50 with bolt ons :)

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I'm chilling in Key Largo at the family vacation home.

Yeah it had diving boards and some kind of different head lights. The thing was hottttt.

I already sent in my first payment for the E34 M30. Its going to be awesome. Todd and I are building the same exact engine. looking for 450 hp... maybe more.

* 55lb/hr injectors
          * Todd is going to have a plug-and-play mega squirt solution with ignition control ready as well.
          * No catalytic converter, 3" single straight exhaust.

Thing is going to be the hotness. Going to be working with Chris Gregor to get some light weight body parts (CF hood, FB/Urethane front apron, etc.) to get the cars weight down to 3000lbs. Sparco seats to replace the 12 way power ones. Nice thing is the engine and tranny will sell for about $3000 on eBay so I'm not really out that much since I already have the motor.

Next time I'm down here I'll have to give the FL folks a hollar.

Later
          Jared

Comment

I figured you'd be selling that engine to fund the new one :)

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

For a long time, I had planned on putting a ford 5.0 in my e30. However, when it came down to it, I chose to go M50. It's a silky smooth motor that keeps it in the family. Putting a domestic V8 in would feel like a hack job.
              Attached Files

Comment

I've been emailing the owner of the car in the past when I first found his car on e30.de, hes on S14.net. Search for v8m3, or waynev8 or something similiar.

I'm trying to see if he'll take some pictures of the engine mount arms and some of the driveline from below, such as tranny mounting and the stuff that may need to be fabricated. Basically all the rest is pictured somewhere on s14.net, however I lost my links.

Would be quite a project, and could have a very clean install, as seen in the jager car.
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
                  I've been emailing the owner of the car in the past when I first found his car on e30.de, hes on S14.net. Search for v8m3, or waynev8 or something similiar.

I'm trying to see if he'll take some pictures of the engine mount arms and some of the driveline from below, such as tranny mounting and the stuff that may need to be fabricated. Basically all the rest is pictured somewhere on s14.net, however I lost my links.

Would be quite a project, and could have a very clean install, as seen in the jager car.
                  i've seen wayne's car in the flesh and it is a very neat and clean installation.
                  you may find some more info on
                  www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk

Comment

Glenn, I have just had a look at an S62 in bits, and I am still very keen to do this conversion at a later date. How hard was it to fit this engine. Did the sump/exhaust manifolds/trans.tunnel need modifying? Cheers Conrad

Comment

Originally posted by conrod
                      Glenn, I have just had a look at an S62 in bits, and I am still very keen to do this conversion at a later date. How hard was it to fit this engine. Did the sump/exhaust manifolds/trans.tunnel need modifying? Cheers Conrad
                      only the exhaust manifolds mate.
                      also had to make engine mounts once i was happy with the position.
                      no modifying to the tunnel, the e39 m5 gearbox is actually quite small, you can pick it up with one hand.
                      hardest part of the conversion was the wiring as i've said.

Comment

Originally posted by glenn s62
                        only the exhaust manifolds mate.
                        also had to make engine mounts once i was happy with the position.
                        no modifying to the tunnel, the e39 m5 gearbox is actually quite small, you can pick it up with one hand.
                        hardest part of the conversion was the wiring as i've said.
                        Did you have to modify both banks of the exhaust, or just the side that had the steering column?
                        San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

both sides:(

Comment

Thanks Glenn!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                              Germany should forget the V8 alltogether. They just don't understand.
                              BMW didn't understand what they were doing when they built the S62?

Comment

You really can't say anything bad about Chevy v8's, especially the small blocks. They may be old technology but Chevy got it right a long time ago and they are only improving upon it. Rather than messing with over head cams and variable valve timing they are building 505hp beasts that can eat Ferraris for breakfast, Lambos for lunch and Porsche's for dinner. My car, or a future e30 of mine, WILL get an lsX in it.
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2006, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X