Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with FITech surge tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any experience with FITech surge tanks?

Like the title says, has anyone run one of these or hear anything about them?

The pricing seems really good compared to something like radium or nuke performance

in for info
    sigpic
    1991 318is S52
    1987 325i Vert
    1991 325i
    2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

They claim that it can support up to 800hp, although I would bet in practice it is less. It has a 340lph in tank pump (not sure if their brand or something else), and the reviews for their EFI conversions for older cars have decent reviews, I just can't find any on these units. I may end up being the Guinee pig...

Comment

I've got the one with the built in regulator in my E30. Only have had it in for a few months but I like it. Tank has gone to nearly empty and I've not had starvation on long right handers. Fuel pressure stays fairly stable around 60psi (fuel pressure sensor on rail, pump in trunk). Got it partly because it's compatible with ethanol so we'll see how it does on E85 next year
        Last edited by agent; 10-05-2018, 06:05 PM. Reason: removed huge font

Comment

Originally posted by Dissembler View Post
          I've got the one with the built in regulator in my E30. Only have had it in for a few months but I like it. Tank has gone to nearly empty and I've not had starvation on long right handers. Fuel pressure stays fairly stable around 60psi (fuel pressure sensor on rail, pump in trunk). Got it partly because it's compatible with ethanol so we'll see how it does on E85 next year
          Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissembler View Post
            Out of curiosity, how did you run your fuel lines? That is my biggest debate at the moment. I am tying to find -6an to 5/16" bulkhead fittings so that I can adapt to the stock fuel lines, but they are damn near impossible to find. I found one from ICT, but I am unsure of the quality. Did you just run new fuel lines completely? If so, how did you manage the barb fittings on the in tank fuel pump?

Comment

5/16 is -5.
              I recall finding a brass natural gas fitting
              that did it cleanly... on a Saab...

years ago...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Seems very expensive for what it is.

I've made a few surge tank setups for cars converted to EFI from carby. just used the generic style tank and piped it up using 2 two external pumps. tanks usually cost about $70 AUD, and the rest including a decent bosch high pressure pump is easily less than 300USD. piping diagram below. I've had hose barbs welded onto various things to attached fuel pipes too. local hydraulics shops can do anything you ask them:)
                Attached Files

Comment

I am considering just piecing my own kit together. The most aggravating part is that the fittings and the hose alone are damn near as much as the FITech surge tank, and the price for those pieces still holds true for if I piece my own setup together. I am looking at somewhere around $130-140 in AN fittings, and $100 in fuel hose (to make sure I have extra for the eventual f up). Mabye I should just consider doing a barbed setup with coastguard spec hose? The braided AN lines just look so good thought, and I like the idea of PTFE hose.

Comment

Alright, I think last question...I priced out putting together my own surge tank setup with a cheap aluminum tank, barb fittings, bosch 044, and using US Coast Guard spec hose for around the $200 mark.

Almost pushed the go button on everything, but then thought to myself "will I have any issues passing tech?"...

I don't plan on wheel to wheel racing with this car, just track days and the potential time attack event if I get decent enough to want to run something like gridlife. I don't want to have to redo all the work and expense if this becomes an issue in the future. Any thoughts on that part?

Comment

Appart from the tank itself its not much different to OEM BMW. External pump under the car, rubber lines, hose clamps etc but i never did take mine through tech, but i cant see it being a problem.

I personally used a small steel tank under the car. I figured steel would be a bit more resilient to rocks etc. (as opposed to aluminium)

Comment

Surge tank will be in the trunk, so that part is definitely different, lol. The only reason I even thought about it was when you look at things like fuel cells, they have to have foam liners, etc. The aluminum surge tanks (at least the inexpensive ebay ones) don
                        t have anything like that. Then again, I really don't think the expensive ones like nuke performance and radium have that either. Time will tell, I went ahead and ordered everything needed so I guess I'll find out eventually.

Comment

I have a basic surge tank in the trunk, with lines run from the tank through the back seat. Granted, it’s done extremely cleanly with bulkhead AN fittings, and I have never had an issue with Tech for an HPDE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
                            I have a basic surge tank in the trunk, with lines run from the tank through the back seat. Granted, it’s done extremely cleanly with bulkhead AN fittings, and I have never had an issue with Tech for an HPDE.

I was under the impression that fuel lines in the cabin was typically a no no. I plan on using bulkhead fitting through the trunk floor pan; essentially the same idea as what you did. We shall see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
                              I was under the impression that fuel lines in the cabin was typically a no no. I plan on using bulkhead fitting through the trunk floor pan; essentially the same idea as what you did. We shall see how it goes.

Please take a few pictures when you’re done. That’s obviously a more preferred route to go, I just couldn’t figure out how to do it cleanly.

-Brandon
                              '86 325es S50
                              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                              S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Working...
                              X