cooling problem? no overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cooling problem? no overheating?

so i was driving from LA last week and then the car felt slow and heavy... drove it for 26 miles parked, and notice coolant on the floor..
    the radiator brackets failed and the radiator fell and was hanging by the hoses...so one of the hoses was torn from hitting the pulley..
    i replaced the hose...put the radiator back...now i have a leak in the radiator....and the fan clutch is not working....
    the car doesnt overheat temperature is always in the middle...it never moves? could be a bad cluster? or is it normal to be in the middle when the fan clutch isnt working??
    my old 325i when it had a bad fan clutch the temperature would be past the middle also noticed my cluster is put there without many of the screws that hold it...could be its not plugged in how it should be..?
    everything else works...

so i let the car idle for about 15 mins and the temperature moved to the middle and stays there when i swapped the engine i have now on the car, the thermostat was not working and the temperature would go to the red, now it doesnt but the clutch isnt working?

things to check?

heres a video of the clutch not working..

a picture of the car after idling for about 15 mins

My fan is in exactly the same condition. My temp gauge is a little high (usually half-way between middle and the next mark), and goes up a little at highway speeds (~80). I don't think you've got a problem. The fan's pulling enough air to keep things cool in the driveway and in traffic; it should be pulling harder when the engine's turning faster, but the point of the clutch is to let the fan stay at a relatively constant velocity without dragging the engine down at higher speeds. You probably get more air through the radiator driving at 55 than the fan can pull, anyway. I'd get it fixed, but don't think you have anything to worry about. There seem to be some folks who remove that fan completely!

Comment

Working...
    X