Timing Chain Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Chain Tensioner

I ordered a new timing chain tensioner and it came in yesterday, I opened it up and it was already decompressed, is that something to be worried about? I was thinking of doing it that way according to

Thanks.

do it the simple way now the its already decompressed grab 19mm socket with wrench remove it remove old tensioner put new one in grab cap and press and turn then tighten it and start it dont rev it noise goes away in 2-3 seconds and now your done
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Cool, I was just worried about it being decompressed already, but I guess it just saved me some time. I'm about to knock this out and an oil change within the hour, going to try some rotella t.

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
      do it the simple way now the its already decompressed grab 19mm socket with wrench remove it remove old tensioner put new one in grab cap and press and turn then tighten it and start it dont rev it noise goes away in 2-3 seconds and now your done

Comment

i use rotella and have no compliants
        Originally posted by bmwm42
        PNW vulture pm me for parts
        Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Be careful if the tensioner is fully extended. If you jam it in at it's full length, she'll scream like she's supercharged. Sexual inuendo aside, you'll know quickly if the chain is too tight.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
            i use rotella and have no compliants
            Yeah my car runs a little quieter now, with the new tensioner and thicker oil.

Originally posted by cagedbunny View Post
            Be careful if tensioner is fully extended. If you jam it in at it's full length, she'll scream like she's supercharged. Sexual inuendo aside, you'll know quickly if the chain is too tight.
            Yeah, I compared it with the old one to make sure it wasn't too out of proportion, but the install was smooth and easy. It was hard listening to the chain slapping noise in the beginning but I was glad it went away after a few seconds.

Comment

how hard is it to replace the tensionner? I seem to have a timing chain noise sometimes in my engine bay.. How long does it take to get to the tensionner?

Comment

Originally posted by e30BMart View Post
                how hard is it to replace the tensionner? I seem to have a timing chain noise sometimes in my engine bay.. How long does it take to get to the tensionner?
                Actually the question is "How easy is it to replace?" Its not hard at all, takes about 10-20 mins of your time. Follow the link I posted in the first post for a better explanation and pics, but basically you:

1. Unscrew the 19mm bolt on the passenger side of the engine block and the old tensioner should come out with it.
                2. Pop the new, decompressed one back in.
                3. Add some pressure with the bolt and washer and turn till the threads catch and tighten it to torque spec, I just guessed and hand tightened it trying not to over torque it.
                4. Turn on the car, let it idle, check for leaks, and you're done. Don't rev it, you'll hear some chain slapping for a few secs but it should go away.

It's a simple job, easier than an oil change. ;) There's other ways to do it, but this is the easier, less tense way to do it.
                Last edited by - jay; 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by - jay View Post
                  Actually the question is "How easy is it to replace it?" Its not hard at all, takes about 10-20 mins of your time. Follow the link I posted in the first post for a better explanation and pics, but basically you:

1. Unscrew the 19mm bolt on the passenger side of the engine block and the old tensioner should come out with it.
                  2. Pop the new, decompressed one back in.
                  3. Add some pressure with the bolt and washer and turn till the threads catch and tighten it to torque spec, I just guessed and hand tightened it trying not to over torque it.
                  4. Turn on the car, let it idle, check for leaks, and you're done. Don't rev it, you'll hear some chain slapping for a few secs but it should go away.

It's a simple job, easier than an oil change. ;) There's other ways to do it, but this is the easier, less tense way to do it.
                  very simple like he said..
                  sigpic
                  HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                  " enjoy the show "

Comment

COOL! I was going to pay someone 5 hours of his time to replace the timing chain because * you need to remove the whole front end of the engine*... COOL! I'll try this and if it still rattles that means that my chain is stretched to much? How do I know that my timing chain wont snap ?

Comment

Timing chains are pretty tough, don't stretch and rarely snap - epecially on the M42 since it's a double row chain (think 2 chains side-by-side). If you still hear rattling after replacing the tensioner, 99% of the time you have worn or damaged chain guides. This is common if you have 200k + miles as the guides are plastic coated metal.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
                        Timing chains are pretty tough, don't stretch and rarely snap - epecially on the M42 since it's a double row chain (think 2 chains side-by-side). If you still hear rattling after replacing the tensioner, 99% of the time you have worn or damaged chain guides. This is common if you have 200k + miles as the guides are plastic coated metal.
                        I have 120 000 miles (on odo) I might have a million for all I know, the odo wasn't functional when I bought the car... He said its wasn't long ago it stop working. IM SO HAPPY its not the chain HAHA. (proly)

Is there a DIY on here for changing the tensioners? Just to know how much to "torque" the bolt...

Comment

Never mind found it in first post. Here is where I'm getting it: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...pg3.htm#item16

I only need the "Chain Tensioner Piston for Timing Chain, E30 318i M42, 318iC" ? no spring or anything else?

I have a 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by e30BMart View Post
                            Never mind found it in first post. Here is where I'm getting it: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...pg3.htm#item16

I only need the "Chain Tensioner Piston for Timing Chain, E30 318i M42, 318iC" ? no spring or anything else?

I have a 1991 318is
                            no spring, thats all you need..
                            sigpic
                            HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                            " enjoy the show "

Comment

k thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X