Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 272 Cam

M20 Camshaft Removal Help
    Hey im new to this forum and im in desperate need of some help. I got a really good deal on a brand new 272 degree camshaft for my bmw. I took it to my local bimmer shop and they quoted me at $1500 with new gaskets included. I was absolutely shocked at the price and being only 17 years old i dont have that kind of money. Ive decided i am going to challenge myself and do the job myself.So im asking this: has anyone done a cam removal themselves or are there any guides that show how to do so? Tips or input? What exactly am i getting myself into? What is the level of difficulty in doing a job like this? ANY and all information on this topic would be HUGELY appreciated.
    Thank you
    Glenn

its easy. good thing you only have one cam instead of two

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

First you need this...

Then you need to realize that trying to do this may not be a good idea. It sounds like you have no experience at all working on cars yet alone engines. I am not trying to be an ass here, just dont want you to F up your engine.
      I dont think you can do this job with out taking the head off the block, as you wont have enough room to slide the cam out of the front of the head while its still in the engine bay. You also run the risk of putting a valve through a piston if you getting the timing belt put on incorrectly.
      If I were you I would save the cam until you have a good set of tools and more experience, sell the cam and spend the money on other parts, or save up some money and have the shop do it.
      Does your engine have any other modifications? If you do a cam you really should have other supporting mods to take full advantage of the cam.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
        I dont think you can do this job with out taking the head off the block, as you wont have enough room to slide the cam out of the front of the head while its still in the engine bay. You also run the risk of putting a valve through a piston if you getting the timing belt put on incorrectly.
        and given that you started off posting your question in the forum for M42 engines, you are not doing great at knowing what bit goes where.

:P
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

To be fair this was cross posted in the M20 section as well. Where it received exactly one useful response. So a big pat on the back to the M42 section for being occasionally helpful to those who post in the wrong area.

Comment

It has long tube headers and the miller maf conversion as well as a cold air. Sorry for not catching that i posted this in the wrong area dont know what happened. I do know the difference of an M42 and an M20 but thanks for pointing that out. Im just new to this forum and im just trying to get some help.....

Comment

Working...
            X