Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet "Blue Nose" M62b44 swap (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wworm View Post
    dogs dont give a fuck they just wanna hang out/are happy to be included in activities lol. They're perfect

Seriously lol as long as they can join in theyre cool. I've found my guy under my car plenty of times when its on stands and have to take a 15 min break just cause he wont move out my way. He's a good supervisor and doesn't charge very much for his time and labor.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
      Seriously lol as long as they can join in theyre cool. I've found my guy under my car plenty of times when its on stands and have to take a 15 min break just cause he wont move out my way. He's a good supervisor and doesn't charge very much for his time and labor.
      lol check out @easonauto on instagram. I used to apprentice there and the shop dog friday posts are hilarious. The dog, Ratchet, is one of the friendliest gooberiest dogs I've ever met. He fits the grungy friendly shop dog vibe so well.
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Just read through this whole thread, awesome work!

Have you taken any measurements for the m112 blower? I’d be concerned if the throttle body hitting the firewall without modification.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjensen View Post
          Just read through this whole thread, awesome work!

Have you taken any measurements for the m112 blower? I’d be concerned if the throttle body hitting the firewall without modification.

Honestly I havent really done a whole lot with the e30. My primary focus has been working on my e31, just finished swapping in a 3.62 lsd into that. Ive been on the fence about making a build thread just for it since noone really covers that chassis or modifys them often.

As for the throttle location, i took rough measurements when i bought it. The seller was an XJR collector, so he let me poke around a complete motor. Its going to be a tight squeeze but i think I can manage. Worst case, i dont have a blower motor or anything behind the cover so notching is very do able. Only thing thats positioned there is my fluid res tanks and thats an easy relocation project.

Based upon photos i took & measurements from his chassis, it should be a simple BFH job to make it all fit no problem. The harder part I see will be getting a proper sized elbow and what not & fabbing the linkage.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

E31 needs to have a build thread... especially if you arent doing anything with this car :p
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
              e31 needs to have a build thread... Especially if you arent doing anything with this car :p
              +1
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I've sat staring at the car the last few days, and getting tired of seeing this sit in my driveway. So I'm gonna start back up on it and re doing a few things & hopefully push to make this a smog legal deal since cali is so laid back you know...

Decided to cut some sheet metal, plug the vents under the windshield, removing the wiper & gonna extend it to make a true mono wiper like the ACS kit. I haven't decided if I am gonna relocate the fluid res where the blower motor used to be, but if the catch can goes, may just relocate the coolant tank to the battery spot. Also made my own strut reinforcement plates or whatever you'd like to call them, next weekend I plan to aircraft strip the whole engine bay & spray it again in an OEM Cirrus so it flows better.

In an effort to make it smog legal, I found a great deal for a set of stock exhaust mani's (Insert crappy phone screenshot) and bought them. I seriously had two sets, and gave them away for scrap which I totally regret doing now. All I need to make this thing legal is add cats, and swap in an m60 NBD right?

Side note I've had this OEM panel sitting in my garage for 3 years now. It's about time I fixed what the body guy couldn't straighten out, and put it to use. Been working a lot more on my tig time so pretty sure I can finally smash this out with some time and luck. Finally have a straight, correct, and flush tail light piece.
                Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 09-09-2018, 02:24 PM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

I begun stripping the engine bay of the truck bed liner since all it would do is get filthy and be a PIA to clean.

I've decided to go back and change a few things, try and push to get the engine BAR'd and see how that goes & fix any short cuts I took in the previous years since the car isn't going to be sold... well.... ever.

So I started disassembling the rear & spent about 3-4 hours drilling out the spot welds, exhausting but the seam sealer was worse than drilling. Still need to run a wire wheel over a couple spots with surface rust & seam sealer. Then go ahead and clean up the few edges before tacking in the new panel and confirming fitment. Overall I understand why places charge around 1k-1500 for this kind of a job, but lucky for me wire wheels & a spot weld bit is only $10.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

man... when will you just enjoy and drive this thing?!
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Want to do the same to my car next?
                      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I've got to do the same panel replacement on my sedan, any tips?
                        1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                        1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                        bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Overall ecstatic seeing how well everything lined up and not too big of gaps that can easily be welded flush no problem on the sides. That was ultimately my biggest concern is not shaving off too much. Nothing is currently welded its just pressure fit in place and hanging on by gravity. Figured I'd toss the plate filler & tails in to see how it looked.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          man... when will you just enjoy and drive this thing?!

You know Simon I seriously thought of you while I was cutting it out

I'm sorry man i know i know i know... I just get too carried away.... for real I thought to myself "shit I really need to take pics of the car" and the little devil popped up on my should as always chiming in saying "this wont take **THAT** long." I'm gonna respray the engine bay & rear, clean up wiring and re locate a few things. It'll be worth it in the end, I can almost see the light.

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
                          Want to do the same to my car next?

I'm def down to come help out. I'm going to start welding the new piece back in so that's probably the hardest part of all. We'll see how that goes, if its a success fuck yeah lets knock it out.

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
                          I've got to do the same panel replacement on my sedan, any tips?

Wire wheel everything, remove all that seam sealer, spot welds are in a lot of really obvious places, theres maybe 3 I overlooked that were impossible to see. Mostly on the drivers side, separating the panel in order to not mess up the top of the body line, I chopped the tail section and pryed it with a flat head & angled flat bar to separate the seams. In total removal took about 3 hours, spot welds are a breeze its just the damn sealer that takes a while to get off.

As for fitting it up, I'm having the issue right now of only being one person. So when I line up the pass side it throws the drivers off slightly. I havent tacked anything down in place, just wanted to make sure the bumper holes lined up, inside of the panel, and tail lights aren't crooked or funky. Overall the trunk and tails line up really clean, and just gotta tap the tabs on the new panel near the bottom edges to mate flush and run a bead along the outside and grind it down.

I'm probably going to end up using 3m seam sealer, since thats a lot of peoples go-to choice but I've been looking at other options as well so I'll post when I do get around to that part once the welding finished.

20180913_120451 by Daniel Bourne, on Flickr

I also got these dropped off while cleaning up for the day, looking forward to trying to make something a little bit more stock for the ref.
                          Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 09-13-2018, 01:15 PM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

How's the E30 coming along? One of my favorite builds on here.

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
                              Finally got this today with rebuild-able U joints; gonna finally be able to take the car off jackstands.. :hitler:

Who's the vendor? I may throw an iX driveshaft at them.

Comment

Bring this thread up to speed a little bit... In the effort to make the exhaust pass state ref I began with the smaller stuff. Obtained a set of condor CABs and along the way acquired a drill press, and shop press for under 100 for the pair. Second pic I misplaced the washer for the bolt but found it in the dirt after moving the car.. go figure.

As I was working on the rear panel replacement, I did away with the undercoating & cut/welded in an antenna plug. Laid a skim coat over it to blend and eventually moved onto the engine bay. As much as I loved the look of the bed liner at first, cleaning it was a PIA. So after much deliberation, I broke out the aircraft stripper and have been going to town.

Shortly after beginning this, another project arose. I came across a CL55 AMG that I bought for under $500 with 100k miles on it. Originally the plan was to split the cost & drop the drivetrain into a 190e that a friend was going to purchase. Well... after a month or so, it didn't come to fruition so I gave him back his $200 and began selling the parts from the chassis.

So after this chassis stat in my driveway with my e30 around the other side of the house; after picking to bare bones and scrapping the shell. The e30 finally made its way back into the driveway to be continued. Luckily I had a halfbaked idea of the braking system similarities on the w215 chassis and my e31 so I kept the rears. Which I'll leave to that thread when I update that soon.

I began revisiting specific things initially I wanted to either change or clean up.

-Oil filter location
                                -Oil temp/pressure sensor loc
                                -Water temp sensor
                                -Exhaust for bar
                                -Engine bay color
                                -Raise hood fitment
                                -Windshield wiper assembly
                                -Access to fluid res tanks
                                -Clean up harness wiring both engine & engine bay
                                -Integrate Alpina wiring into engine wiring for cleanliness

ANDDDD back on the ground as if nothing happened..

Rolled the motor out one morning and let the dog go at it while I sat back and learned..

Went ahead and gave the x5 mani and e34 a side by side look and mental how tf am I going to do this... Its been a while but I believe theres two different sides for the passenger pending models. This one did not clear the motor bracket at all, but I'll make it work. Just to give an idea of the issue I photographed it of course.. As seen in the photo, the flanges can't even come close to mating with the block.

Started part washing and began ordering more parts, such as the CCV, m62 breather line, tube, and paints. Also picked up some 245s for the rear :hitler:

Decided to rid the e30 of the oil catch can and cooler so that when inspection does occur the only truly noticeable stand out items that have been "tampered" with are the oil filter housing lines. Whereas everything else should relatively appear factory as I ca make it.

Made sure the inside of the manifold was still all nice and clean..

Unsure if the fuel reg line was like this prior to removing the motor but luckily theres plenty of e38s at the junkyard to harvest this stupid $15-20 hose from haha.

I will continue to update a little later or tomorrow after finishing a job. Though this hasn't been updated in what seems like ages, this car hadn't slipped into the crack and been forgotten. Neglected in favor of my e31 slightly but I do absolutely miss driving this. My phobia of losing it due to the ever enclosing laws CA keeps pushing & the LAPD / CHP crackdown on cars... I'd rather this be above board and not be messed with than lose it paying impound fees and what not.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Working...
                                X