Help m42 driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help m42 driveshaft

This morning my car started making clunking noises behind the ebrake console.
    Checked under the car took a look at the rubber guibo and its in good shape. Could it be the csb? Or am
    I going to need a new or rebuilt driveshaft? Is it possible to fix the u joints? Its a loud sound when the car starts rolling. If i do end up needing a mew driveshaft what is the most cost effective way to get a good working one, and a diy wouldnt hurt i have the tools and will to do it. Tia r3v

Will be hitting up junkers asap, need to know which driveshafts will work with my m42 w zf tranny. All help is appreciated

Comment

It is probably your CSB, which could also mean that you need to replace your driveshaft due to fucked u-joints. Check your transmission mounts as well.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

I think the mounts are good because my shifting is pretty smooth. So ill need to replace drieshaft and csb?

Comment

You need a new driveshaft. Has to be an M42 one as far as I know.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
            You need a new driveshaft. Has to be an M42 one as far as I know.
            Thanks,
            Wouldnt a driveshaft from a zf tranny work maybe out of an e36? Or are they diff gonna have to check my realoem

Comment

if you want to fix the noise until you get a new drive shaft you can shim it up a bit.

Get some washers and shim the center support up towards the chassis. This changes the position of the U joints slightly and will reduce the noise, unless the joints are extremely worn this method works...

cheap and ghetto but its something

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                if you want to fix the noise until you get a new drive shaft you can shim it up a bit.

Get some washers and shim the center support up towards the chassis. This changes the position of the U joints slightly and will reduce the noise, unless the joints are extremely worn this method works...

cheap and ghetto but its something
                Thanks for the info but i want to do it the right way before it messes something else up.

Comment

Originally posted by 'e30love' View Post
                  Thanks for the info but i want to do it the right way before it messes something else up.
                  good call :up:

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                  Ig:ryno_pzk
                  I like the tuna here.
                  Originally posted by lambo
                  Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Does the muffler need to be dropped in order to remove the driveshaft?

Comment

yes and no....

ps

< has m42 shaft ( no CSB) , 55$ shipped

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Working...
                      X