temp rises at idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

temp rises at idle?

sup...i just noticed that my temp gauge seems to go up when im stuck in traffic or at idle.
    a little info on the car...this started after i had the accident...i swapped radiator, bled the system about 50 times already with the bleed screw? unless i did it wrong???? whats the technique on doing it???

the fan was pushed against the clutch and fan on the accident...i purchased another fan and clutch from a member here, theres no play on the clutch, cooland seems to be flowing through the syster all 3 radiator hoses are warm to the touch....heater plate is hot, i changed the radiator temp sensor 3 times already...didnt make a difference...
    how can i check if my water pump is working????????

or what other things can i check?
    im stuck on what to do...

ps. when driving the car does not overheat and the temperature stays right before the middle, while idling for some minutes the temp starts to rise.

Has the thermostat been looked at?

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

its probably not your water pump. airflow issue. make sure the fan clutch works

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

i checked the fan clutch when the temp was rising using the newspaper method and does not seem to be engaging...um...im going to try to borrow one or buy another one just to be sure...
        apart from the newspaper method any other way to check the clutch?

Comment

This happened to me. It was the water pump for me, but that is easy to diognose as it leaks when it is fucked.
          sigpic

Comment

how do i go about checking the water pump????
            mine doesnt leak...although the radiator hit the fan and the clutch on the accident....thats my worry if its the water pump
            but wouldnt the temp rise regardless if i was driving or not?

Comment

No the pump usually leaks from the spindle and down the face of the timing case and if you are lucky onto the timing wheel then all over the engine bay.

I don't know why but when mine was leaking it would over heat at idle but while driving it was fine. The water pump is not hard to replace, that is if it has been removed in recent years. I had to go at mine for a bout and hour with one of those small sledge hammers this was the end result.

sigpic

Comment

thing is that i have a brand new water pump...its been about 3k since i had the whole timing overhauled...just wondering from the crash i could have damaged it or something...but it does not leak

Comment

pics for reference

now

Comment

Then maybe you are getting air in from that platic tube under the intake have a look if that is leaking. If it is not the fan clutch or water pump then it must be a leak.

Don't rule out the pump I have replaced mine 4 times now in 2 years they keep failing on me don't know why.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                      Then maybe you are getting air in from that platic tube under the intake have a look if that is leaking. If it is not the fan clutch or water pump then it must be a leak.

Don't rule out the pump I have replaced mine 4 times now in 2 years they keep failing on me don't know why.
                      ive heard of water pumps failing...what brand did you use?
                      i bought an oem from bmw that took forever to get here
                      it was supposedly an updated pump

Comment

Originally posted by ///digitalme View Post
                        ive heard of water pumps failing...what brand did you use?
                        i bought an oem from bmw that took forever to get here
                        it was supposedly an updated pump

haha I don't even remember the brands I have just gotten used to changed them every 6 months. The first two were from pelicans, the third from Egay and the forth from a autostore here in Aus. The for recently just started leaking so will be going to blunt for my fith.
                        sigpic

Comment

ill check out if its leaking though and look for another clutch i think i might have another one somewhere....but if not then ill have to take it to a shop to get it checked

Comment

Yeh try that.

I would not be taking to a shop they will charge you an arm and a leg. There are only a few cause for this.

It is not to hard to inspect your cooling system. Check for leaks including the heater core. Check all your hoses even if you need to disasemble some stuff to get a proper look. If it is not any of the then move to the fan clutch, if that is all good move to the water pump, all that is left after that is your thermostate. This can all be done in one day.
                            sigpic

Comment

i still can figure out whats wrong?
                              i replaced the fan clutch for a brand new one...
                              still rises...i have a feeling the radiator is clogged...ill swap my old busted radiator to see if the temp rises

Comment

Working...
                              X