temp rises at idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ water pump is new though and newer style pump
    ...i did get into a crash on my e30...but water pump seems normal....its still pumping...

Comment

Originally posted by ///digitalme View Post
      seems like my thermostat is stuck opened though.... both hoses from the thermostat housing are hot, the lower hose is warm (luke warm)

whats the proper way of bleeding it? tomorrow is my day off i can try to re bleed it
      If the lower hose is luke warm, then that's just transient heat from the housing. If the thermostat is open, you won't be able to hold the hose due to the heat.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I think I didn't explained it well. Both hoses coming from the thermostat housing are hot to the touch. Not extremely hot but both are the same temperature. There's the small hose that goes on the corner where the drain plug is. That one is Luke warm, I was told that hose should be a little hot

Comment

The two out of the thermostat housing should be hot.

I think you have a clog somewhere. Your presumed broken heater core switch may be a culprit as well.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

i think you have a broken expansion tank i just replaced my radiator and put a late m20 all aluminum one in and no more cooling issues
            Originally posted by bmwm42
            PNW vulture pm me for parts
            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by io_RobbieRodgers View Post
              FYI, there's an easy way to get your water pump out without risking destroying your motor (or more likely, your radiator fins) with a hammer. You see those two holes on the water pump flange that aren't normally occupied with bolts? There's no through holes behind them, and they back up right against the case. If you take the bolts you take out of your pump, and thread them through those two extra holes, they push against the block as you tighten them and back the whole pump out of the case.
              LOL you obviously have not delt with a stuck water pump. If you look at my pictures you will notice those tabs are broke. That is because when I threaded the bolts through they broke off. It is a common problem with cars that have not had there water pump touched since new.

Back to the issue. So just to clarify the temp gauge only gose just past the half way mark? If so that is completely fine. Mind you when my pump first shat it self, I was in the Maccas drive through sitting on the redline lol.

More details on why the heater dose not work is the core blocked? Leaking? Fan not working? If the core is blocked that could be the cause of your problem. When you change your water it could have let air into to heater core, then if it is block you will not be able to bleed the system properly and this could be coursing your problem.

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
              i think you have a broken expansion tank i just replaced my radiator and put a late m20 all aluminum one in and no more cooling issues
              Pictures and more details please, where dose the hose from the plastic outlet under the intake go?
              sigpic

Comment

my heater never worked...ever since i bought the car...it blows air, fan spins, just dont get hot air, which means heater core..i thought of replacing it but it never gave me problems. i never use the heater, nor the ac....

with my heat not working, it never gave me problems, i would let my car idle for about 15 minutes when i would go to in n out, and never overheater nor did the temperature hit the middle.

my temperature is working, if i let the car sit and idle for about 5 minutes it goes to the middle, it definitely goes past that, i let it go to 3/4 of the gauge the other day so it definitely goes past the middle....ill be replacing the thermostat, bypassing the heater core to see if thats the problem...if not then ill replace the water pump

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                  Pictures and more details please, where dose the hose from the plastic outlet under the intake go?

ill post pics up soon its really simple straight forward get a late model m20 rad and also a late model coolant res also a radiator mount plug hose from old coolant res to new coolant res go to napa and buy hose number 7365 add coolant and done
                  Originally posted by bmwm42
                  PNW vulture pm me for parts
                  Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

I need info on this as well, my car is starting to do this as well. I heard something winding up in my car going at certain speeds, now it doesn't do it... Water pump? Mine won't blow heat when car is idle, only when the car is moving. same problem as you!

Comment

still havent figured it out...will flush it sometime this week and see what happens...

Comment

I'm having similar issues so rather than make a new thread, I'll see if I can add to this. Not trying to hijack but sounds like were having similar issues.

Mine will get a bit warm while sitting in traffic aswell, however it'll go to the 3/4 mark at long lights and then soon as I get moving, it will rapidly fall back to below the middle mark. My heat works, but if I'm sitting with no airflow it just blows ambient temp air. Again, once moving it will blow hot as hell. Could this be an issue with the heater core? I've got a new thermostat on the way thinking perhaps it's sticking and hence why the temps drops rapidly? It's been crappy weather and I've been busy as hell so I haven't got a chance to check to much into it but also seems like my aux fan is perhaps not kicking on aswell. I'll likely do the water pump and flush/bleed the system in the coming weeks as I don't when, if ever it was done.
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Working...
                        X