N20 Swap Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N20 Swap Anyone?

I like the look of the new N20. With 240 hp and 260 torque and only 317 lbs this little engine would sure be a nice addition to an e30. Has anyone done the research or considering? Other than a shortage of supply, is there a reason this can't be done?

"At 240 hp, the N20 develops 10 hp more than BMW's 3.0-liter inline-six in North America. It is terrifically refined and always feels urgent, with 260 lb-ft of torque on tap at 1,250 rpm. The power delivery is uncannily like that of a modern-day diesel, with particularly strong low-end attributes and impressive flexibility across a wide range of revs.

The six-speed manual version of the new X1 xDrive28i is claimed to reach 62 mph in 6.1 seconds, hit a top speed at 149 mph and boast a 50-mph-to-75-mph fourth-gear split at 6.0 seconds. By comparison, the current X1 xDrive28i sold in Europe, which uses a 258-hp version of BMW's 3.0-liter inline-six, posts figures of 6.8 seconds, 143 mph and 6.1 seconds, respectively.

Power builds in a smooth, free revving fashion without any hint of turbocharger lag. Work the N20 hard, and it revs happily to 7,000 rpm, although like most modern direct-injection units, there's a distinct lack of engine braking on a trailing throttle. The engine's powerful electronics package ensures maximum coasting potential is achieved by allowing the revs to fall away gradually. "
    Last edited by Hey-U; 03-27-2012, 10:55 PM.

I heard from a friend that this is engine is quite a nightmare. His e92 is always in the shop and already has gone through a rebuild. Same goes with 3 other friends. Non of them race or abuse the car either.

Comment

e92? these are coming on the f30s and newer vehicles
      2008 335i - n54b30
      1991 318i - m52b28
      1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

The N54 and N20 both would be AMAZING in an e30! If only someone could figure out the wiring and software necessary to get them working.
        - Frank
        '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
        http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
        Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

^ Yes the software and wiring is intimidating. I know I won't be the first to make this swap a reality but I might be the second.

Comment

I'd be interested if somebody made a custom harness for it if it would be possible to megasquirt/VEMS/etc it... now THAT would be nice.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

I suspect the HPFP and fuel lines would need to be carried over from the donor car as well as fuel tank modifications for it to fit. Some sort of cable throttle linkage too.

Comment

I'm sure with just a flash and all the components from the donor these will be quite easy.
                Everything is vacuum controlled

Comment

Hey-u let me know where you source your motor. Friend of mine has mentioned this motor for a SCCA//NASA Car.

Comment

The weight to power ratio on this motor is impressive, not to mention it will run the 15% ethonal crap we are getting to 2014. It would leave alot of room in the engine bay too.

Comment

why don't guys just run a stand alone ecu setup?

Comment

I don't think that motor even has a throttle. Your gonna need the original ecu and someone with a lot of experience to modify it. Mark D?

John
                        The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

Well anything is possible with $$$$$
                          Guess you best cover all the junkyards for a new 1 series.........
                          sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                          The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by m3guru View Post
                            Not sure if it's a repost...I searched.

This guy built a pretty cool hybrid. The engine looks nice and low too. :drive:

Testing

Dyno

Racing

more vids
                            http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJEPdH-kM80d_g5-8LaD8g
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by harv View Post
                              I don't think that motor even has a throttle. Your gonna need the original ecu and someone with a lot of experience to modify it. Mark D?

John
                              i have been working with these little engines for a while now and they are uhmazing!!!! standalone would be nuts for this motor. no tb i think it has valvetronic to take over.
                              BmMmduBbB teChHh

Comment

Working...
                              X