Junkyard s52 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junkyard s52 help

Pete here..long time lurker first time poster.

I have a e30 im preping for a turbo s52 swap. I got a junkyard s52 for $1200. The comp. Was 187the psi +/- 2 psi on all cylinders. Got it home popped off the valve cover and the first thing i notice is the cams say Shrick on them. Im a bmw noob but im familiar with the cost of these. The numbers on them are 1718888 and 261a5800 on the exhaust and 1738369 and 261E5807 on the intake. Does anyone have any info on these. Also the oil pump nut is already welded on. Im guessing this motor was ran pretty hard..what all should I be checking over and replacing as preventive maintenance.

Thanks

Just run it till it blows up. then build it. pretty hard to blow these motors up.

Nice find tho.

Comment

that is a nice find for a great price. just run it

Comment

Thanks guys. I notice a tiny bit of burnt oil on the vavle stems in the exhaust ports..also i purchased it with no intake or harness but it has knock,cam,crank sensors ect..im wondering if it was converted to obd1 in a former life. Any quick way to tell without cross refrencing part numbers?

Comment

if the knock sensors have individual connectors they are obd1. If the sensors share the same connector it is obd2.

Comment

Just check for signs of worn crank and rod bearings. Seems like an awesome score, good job.
            For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
            Originally posted by mbonanni
            I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Try to go back and get that ECU. 9/10 says its got atleast a shark injector (if obd2) or a chip/tune if obd1 - the type of ecu alone would tell you what OBD you have.

why was the car in the junkyard - damage wise.
              You never know what you got with this engine. Could be a fresh build. Could have upgrades. Could be a shit build too. $1200 is an excellent buy regardless. Run her till it blows. It took me 3years of street drift and track time to do exactly that to a 160+kmi s52. After the DIY rebuild, it went after less than a year of track because i did a shit build. Learned quite a bit from that that's for sure..

good luck and keep us posted :o
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Nice score!
                1989 US E30 Cammed S52
                Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

Great find!

The oil pump nut is usually tacked-on to keep it from working itself loose and wrecking havoc on the motor. Some guys use wire-ties to keep the nut on. This and your cams is a good sign that this motor was taken apart at some point by an enthusiast. Compression points to good working condition as well.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Im gettinf back to working on this and trying to identify if its obd1 or obd2. Frankie recommended looking at the knock sensors but they have been removed before i got the engine. There is however a crank sensor in the front of the motor. Would this indicate obd1 sensors swapped in other locations eg cam position ect. Thanks

Comment

Check the ECU, red label 413 etc. and the crank sensor should be a male connector for obd1 IIRC. Not at my car so I can't check. If you found it in an e36 I'm thinking it would still be obd2.

Great find though. Sounds like a great start for a turbo s52. I'm also in the process of turboing my e30 s52. GL!
                      1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Comment

Crank sensor in the front sounds like someone was running obd1 on it. Otherwise an s52 uses the sensor in the block that reads a ring on the crankshaft, not the toothed wheel in the front.

If you can snap a few pics I'm sure people could tell you with certainty very quickly.

Comment

Unfortunately I dont have or have access to the ecu. The sensor on the front has 3 pins and they are male. It has 013006B stamped on the sensor itself. The cam position sensor also has 3 pins but is female. It has AO 47 on its plug

Comment

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3 View Post
                            Crank sensor in the front sounds like someone was running obd1 on it. Otherwise an s52 uses the sensor in the block that reads a ring on the crankshaft, not the toothed wheel in the front.

If you can snap a few pics I'm sure people could tell you with certainty very quickly.
                            This
                            Originally posted by 325Projectz
                            don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                            :nice:

Comment

Here is a picture of the crank sensor. somehow my phone was accidentally set to black and white. anyhow i can take a photo some something exact if that would help

Comment

Working...
                              X