questions about my e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions about my e30

sooooo.... I know this is probably a dumb question and its probably already answered but i looked it up and i couldn't find a straight answer, i have a 1989 BMW 325i and i wanna know what gas i should put it in, regular, premium or whatever. also, i got a bought a remy alternator off rock auto instead of the Bosch one they had, it was less expensive. is that alright or should i have gone with the Bosch? also just mentioning that i don't have the owners manual since my dad (the previous owner) lost it so that's why im asking about what gas my car needs. I would also like to just let out some thoughts I've been thinking about when looking at my e30, i dont know what makes a bad e30 but i still love my car regardless and hopefully i can fix it up to look better but the leather seats are cracked, some plastic is breaking in the inside and the paint is faded on some parts of the car but not horribly (yet). Is it cheap to fix things that i just mentioned? of course thats not super important because the way the car runs is obviously much more important to me but yeah i just wanted to ask/talk about that kinda stuff. its kinda difficult knowing where to start, i feel dumb asking questions that might seems pretty obvious to people that've been working on cars for a while but i gotta start somewhere i guess, so i will appreciate anyone that takes the time to give me info of what im asking for :)

E30 can take regular 87 octane. Don't use premium because you'll be wasting your money. A remanufactured alternator is the luck of the draw. You'll just have to try. Rockauto will accept return if it does not work. As for the manual, you can buy one online or download (illegal?) a PDF copy from one of the links here. Cosmetically, it is a 30 yrs old car so take your pick and fix what your budget allows. I would pay attention to critical PM stuffs like timing belt, water pump, belts, coolant, etc...

Comment

Get the Bentley manual (its red) and not the Haynes one (blueish?). Having a hard copy is worth the $20-30 it may be.

Post pics of your e30.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
        Get the Bentley manual (its red) and not the Haynes one (blueish?). Having a hard copy is worth the $20-30 it may be.

Post pics of your e30.

Why a Bentley manual? What does it have to offer for a BMW E30? Just curious, and thanks to everyone for the responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Milk View Post
          Why a Bentley manual? What does it have to offer for a BMW E30? Just curious, and thanks to everyone for the responses

Bentley is the publisher. Nice guide with many illustrations and step-by-step instructions. Indispensable in my opinion.
          Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
          1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
          Palm Beach County

Comment

... a picture of your girlfriend would also be much appreciated.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            '90 325i sedan daily driven
            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

parts

also, does anyone know where i could get the black strip that runs accross the side of the car for a 325i? apparently mine broke and had been thrown away before i owned the car. it runs across the middle of the door and has a white connector strip under it thats exposed because the black part is missing.

Comment

also, does anyone know where i could get the black strip that runs accross the side of the car for a 325i? apparently mine broke and had been thrown away before i owned the car. it runs across the middle of the door and has a white connector strip under it thats exposed because the black part is missing.
                If you're looking for new, any of the major parts suppliers like Pelican or Turner might have what you're looking for. If you're wanting used, just post a WTB ad on the classifieds section here.
                Steve • Toronto
                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                Build Thread

Comment

Thanks man but I don’t know what that part is called lol

Comment

Thanks man but I don’t know what that part is called lol

do your homework man. :roll:
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    '90 325i sedan daily driven
                    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

The Bentley manual is made specifically for our cars. It has troubleshooting guides and all sorts of useful info in it. I use authausaz for stuff and rmeuropean. They have good prices and most everything you'll need. Shipping is usually pretty reasonable too. There are other sites as well. I use realoem for the part numbers and then type that into Google.
                      I have been doing a full overhaul on mine. I've been busy lately so I had to take a break from my car for a while but i have a garage to keep it in until i can get back on it. I have purchased about everything from those sites I listed above. I also use fcpeuro. They have tons of stuff, but they are a little more expensive. Upside is a lifetime replacement warranty on everything they sell. I use them on my wife's 528 when I have to get parts for hers.
                      Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
                        Bentley is the publisher. Nice guide with many illustrations and step-by-step instructions. Indispensable in my opinion.
                        Haha I didn't even think to differentiate that it was made by Bentley publisher for e30s.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie325 View Post
                          The Bentley manual is made specifically for our cars. It has troubleshooting guides and all sorts of useful info in it. I use authausaz for stuff and rmeuropean. They have good prices and most everything you'll need. Shipping is usually pretty reasonable too. There are other sites as well. I use realoem for the part numbers and then type that into Google.
                          I have been doing a full overhaul on mine. I've been busy lately so I had to take a break from my car for a while but i have a garage to keep it in until i can get back on it. I have purchased about everything from those sites I listed above. I also use fcpeuro. They have tons of stuff, but they are a little more expensive. Upside is a lifetime replacement warranty on everything they sell. I use them on my wife's 528 when I have to get parts for hers.
                          Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks man I appreciate the info

Comment

Working...
                          X