Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing prefinished hardwood is actually fairly simple, why not just DIY? Should bring the cost in line with the vinyl stuff. Flooring nailer is a couple hundred bucks, plus a box of nails and some roofing paper as a vapor barrier underlayment, all in for under $500 depending upon the area you're doing.

Comment

Well yes you are correct, and I have installed plenty of hardwood floors in the past as side jobs. That said I am only going to be home for maybe 2 more weeks. Then its back out on the road for work. The extra week I take off for a DIY project will cost me about double the installation cost in lost wages for the week, for having my buddies guys come out and put it down for us. So yeah it comes down my time from a monetary stand point is worth more out on a job making money vs saving some labor charges for home improvement projects.

Plus I have to get the vapor barrier / basement people out and seal up my crawlspace and get a radon fan going under that before I can get the floor materials in the house an and acclimatizing
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Given the time crunch I'd probably just say screw it, pay the extra and be happy that it's done when I'm back from work. It always pains me to do things like that when I know I can personally put my sweat equity in and do it cheaper, but you've got to go with the most financially sound way, which from what you've described is having someone else install it.

Hardwood is still miles nicer than any of the other finishes IMO (unless we're talking tile in certain areas where that makes more sense). I think in the long run your investment will appreciate with hardwood where the rest of it really won't add any value and in some cases could be a detractor if people feel they'd need to rip it out and start over.

Comment

A man has to know not only his limits but his value. At times, it is better to be at work so someone else can do the job for you.
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Getting one step closer to finishing the garage

The glory hole I drilled in the floor lead wiring down into the garage just above the door. We mounted the box here, and he bent the piping easily

It comes around and goes into a 4 outlet box that will be used for the garage door opener and my overhead lamps.

From there another bent pipe to a 4 outlet box right by the old desk that will be the “work bench “

Fired up the power on the box and no smoke, no fires, just a happy face. I have some awesome posters waiting to go up but that will be one of the last things
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice!
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

hoo-rah Simon!
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

No pictures...sorry

But Christmas Eve, my mom and sister came over to our house and would ya know it, the door handle decided to come apart.

It's one of those that have the dead bolt above it and then a handle that goes up and down and has a bolt that holds it on the bottom.

Anyway, so the latch part on the out side came apart. Looks like the screws came loose. Couldn't figure out how it went back together,

So I installed a new one last night...yay
                  1990 325is
                  m52b28
                  3.73lsd
                  g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

I've been a bit busy myself, though picture-less.

Installing security doors on my duplex.

Chasing down a faulty door switch in a SubZero (get over here!) fridge.

An upstairs furnace wouldn't fire up. Had to chase that down in the attic.

New more modern LED lights, with dimming switches, for bathrooms at another rental.

Water heater issues at another rental. Was a simple blown pilot light.

It's been fun. Learning a lot.

Comment

Well let's see here in the 9 days I have been home, I have installed 3 new light fixtures in the house. The new kitchen light whipped my ass for 2 days as the j box had to be replaced so it could support some weight and moved. So had to patch and paint that old hole up 1st.

Fixed the p trap in the landury tub.

Installed hardware on every cabinet in the house both baths and the kitchen, like never was installed to begin with . So had to build a couple hole jigs 1st.

Been fighting with the wiring nightmare in the shop trying to get a couple new outside flood fixtures working right. Redid a couple outside outlets with new gfi,

Still have to hang mirrors, closet shelving and waiting on bids for crawl space vapor barrier and flooring and kitchen to come back
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

More to-dos as a result of some techs coming to a rental.

Need a new shower trim kit for an upstairs shower, along with an exhaust fan for the same bathroom. Of course the fan is an old tiny model, so drywall work will have to be done to fit a new unit.

Subzero fridge needs $1368 dollars worth of work to fix the refrigerant system for the refrigerator side. Freezer side is functioning, and tech said they are bulletproof, so no worries there.

Glass gas cook top with down draft unit has malfunctioning components that are no longer sold by the manufacturer. Tech recommended a replacement. The unit will be in the $2,000 range.

Busted irrigation pipe is leaking a lot of water underground in the front yard. Will have to track that down and seal it up before snow hits.

Phew. And to think that I used to think cars were expensive. This is nuts.

Comment

Oh yeah, home ownership is magnitudes more expensive and I find there's always more than one thing broken at a time so the cost is always more than anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
                            Oh yeah, home ownership is magnitudes more expensive
                            Home ownership is cheap. It's the "While you're you in there you might as well....." that gets you.

My living room is painted wallpaper, and behind that is lath and plaster. I can remove the wallpaper and hire a awesome plaster guy, or spend 2-3 weeks and a huge dumpster to drywall it myself.

Drywall is cheaper than a "white guy" that does plaster repair. Some "out of country laborers"(Mexicans that do an amazing job) do plaster for cheap - and they are better at it to be honest. Not a rasiasits post - just reality.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Are you trying to avoid laminate planks sleeve? We did our whole house in it (well, will have done the whole house, done about 1700sq/ft so far) and as long as you get a quality board at a decent thickness it's a nice finish. We used 12mm with attached pad and added another padded underlayment/moisture barrier. Not the MOST durable but it is fairly resilient. Ours has lasted well with the kids and 80lb dog. If you catch it on sale it can come in around 2.50 - 3.50/sqft including the underlayment.

Edit: Not sure of the house/market in question. Laminate fits the market in our area so as to not be a waste of money in the flooring with no recoup on the backend. $5+ /sqft would be way over doing it in our area for a 2300 sq/ft $160,000 house.
                              Last edited by Schnitzer318is; 12-28-2018, 08:29 AM.
                              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                              -----------------------------------------
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled
                              98 328i Sold
                              93 325i Sold

Comment

Garage door motor professionally installed, pictures begun being hung and car on jackstands. I officially have my garage lol

Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X