Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 OBDII Wiring Kamasutra 2007

*check "edit section" for updates and additions to my wiring

There may be a few functions which i haven't tested yet like i havent run the engine long enough for the temp gauge to move up, oil level sensor is not hooked up yet....BUT it fired up and ran perfectly the first time that i tried it!

nice contribution to R3v seing the amt of information/help that i've gotten from it. The excel file where these came from has a LOT more info, but i can't upload it so here you have a chopped up version... Enjoy,

Things you WILL need to run OBDII (see last pic):
    From the same car:
    DME
    Key
    EWS II module

From any OBDII car (or obdII e36 atleast):
    Transmitter Module
    Ring Antenna/ignition cylinder

Other helpfull things to have:
    EWS connector/pigtails
    Both Transmitter Module Connectors/Pigtails
    *all can be found on e36 partout threads real cheap

Its very easy to Make your own Wiring Adapter, just find a junkyard X20 plug and a C101 plug with a few inches of wires still attached and follow what i did below.

pins may also apply to other e30 "i" models

also applies to 98 m3 z-roadster and coupe.

NOTE: Connect EWS pin 3 directly to X20 pin 7, routing through the c101 unused pin 3 for cleanliness can be tedious.

this is additional information. if you don't speak german, then use your immagination

i gotta get back to work but corrections and suggestions are very well accepted, this is the first time that i wire an engine.

edit: ty carvallisbmw. This setup will yield a two key setup. 1) e36 key w/ chip to disable the immobilizer at the ecu that will serve as an extra security measure AND qualify for insurance discounts. 2) e30 original key/cyl/location, still used to crank the starter, turn interior electronics etc etc etc. All/Most onboard OBD functions work ex. mpg and cluster mpg gauge will be innacurate...as with any other 24v swap.

edit 2: i have to backup my writeup right? here you go:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=64RadsqTJyM *new vid

edit 3: e34 oil pan Oil Level Sensor wiring is as follows
    Blue = ground (ols pin3)
    Brown = Dynamic (ols pin2)
    Green/Violet = Static (ols pin1)

edit 4: (2/4/08 ) NOW, I MUST TO ADD: C101 Pin 15 goes to the "30h" top-most pole of the starter. This powers the unloader relays => All climate control functions, Power windows, Sunroof etc

edit 5: (4/11/08 ) car is wrecked.... ... X20 pin 8 goes to C101 pin 12 for the DME, they are both gray wires its written wrong in the pics above. peace.
    Last edited by etxxz; 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM.
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

vote for sticky

Comment

finally a good write up to hook up obd 2.
      thanks for the contribution-this would def. come in handy to a lot of people....
      thanks again!!!!

Comment

damn, very nice! where in miami are you?!?!
        NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

cool, i been looking for an 88325is wiring chart.
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

are you kidding me, you got it to work! so i shouldnt bother going to OBD1 then i guess....cheaper for me to buy the parts that you said are needed. any key/ignition will work, or do i need the matching ECU??

Comment

Originally posted by windsor318is View Post
              are you kidding me, you got it to work! so i shouldnt bother going to OBD1 then i guess....cheaper for me to buy the parts that you said are needed. any key/ignition will work, or do i need the matching ECU??
              The DME / EWS-II Module / Key all have to be from the same car.

Comment

faaaaaak no way in using a different module and key....back to obd1 i go

Comment

Turner Motorsports can add OBD2 EWS delete to any of there software.

CORRECTION: The EWS-delete is only available on Stages 2-5 software

Last edited by E30 Memorial; 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM. Reason: Correction added
                  Steve
                  '89 332i
                  '90 M3
                  '01 530is
                  '12 MCS BW
                  '15 RAM 3500

Comment

So do you end up having an OBDII port with this setup? If not, I don't think you can shark it.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                      So do you end up having an OBDII port with this setup? If not, I don't think you can shark it.
                      I'm at the point of deciding weather to keep my obd2 setup or swap to obd1 which is sitting in a box, so I'm by far a whiz on the setup. But, according to TMS the shark will plug into the round diagnostic port on the obd2 engine harness.

Here's a little more info and clarification on there setup:

The EWS-delete is only available on Stages 2-5. Sorry, it is not available on Stage 1. So you would need at the minimum Stage 2 (larger HFM + 24lb injectors). Link to Stage 2 on our website: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TMS-I3TKIT
                      Steve
                      '89 332i
                      '90 M3
                      '01 530is
                      '12 MCS BW
                      '15 RAM 3500

Comment

thats about the same price as converting it to obd1

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

One bad thing about not doing the obd2 EWS delete is if you by chance lose the key or if it becomes inop, BMWNA won't issue even an uncut key unless you can prove you are the legal owner of that VIN number. They also said that they would not issue a key to a VIN number that has been totaled or scrapped unless it's been rebuilted.
                          Steve
                          '89 332i
                          '90 M3
                          '01 530is
                          '12 MCS BW
                          '15 RAM 3500

Comment

^^that is true. Also, keep in mind that up to 10 keys can be sync'd to an ECU/EWS, so worse case scenario you have to go this way...idk how but i'm sure that if they see that a car's totaled they'll understand how you can get buy the parts car/engine
                            -------
                            read page 10 of this...or read all the ewsII stuff. Great Read if you do OBDII:
                            http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/understandthe%20EWS%20BMW.pdf
                            -------
                            i know the person at the parts dept of the ft.laudy dealer and i already talked to him that if i show up with my car running asking for a second key he'll give me one.
                            Originally posted by vr4boy View Post
                            finally a good write up to hook up obd 2.
                            thanks for the contribution-this would def. come in handy to a lot of people....
                            thanks again!!!!
                            i hope so, and i also hope that other people further contribute info on this like its been happening.

Personally, i think obdII saves a lot of time and money, but it has disadvantages when it comes to FI tunning and security components failure...they both have solutions.

Now, I keep asking around what the benefits of OBDII are over OBDI and all i get is "the computer is much much powerful, but its not mod-friendly" what does this mean??! i want to know things like will it run better with weather changes? more tq? smoother power? contaminate less? etc etc etc. Lets make this another goal for this thread
                            Originally posted by BDSax View Post
                            damn, very nice! where in miami are you?!?!
                            hour north of...you'll find me at most drift events next year. homestead/sebring and maybe the next euro/bimmer bbq (gotta show it off right?)
                            Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                            cool, i been looking for an 88325is wiring chart.
                            8-)
                            Originally posted by matt View Post
                            Originally posted by E30 Memorial View Post
                            I'm at the point of deciding weather to keep my obd2 setup or swap to obd1 which is sitting in a box, so I'm by far a whiz on the setup. But, according to TMS the shark will plug into the round diagnostic port on the obd2 engine harness.

Here's a little more info and clarification on there setup:

The EWS-delete is only available on Stages 2-5. Sorry, it is not available on Stage 1. So you would need at the minimum Stage 2 (larger HFM + 24lb injectors). Link to Stage 2 on our website: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TMS-I3TKIT
                            That's hella expensive. Shark does plug into the diagnostics port which you will have. I'm still trying to verify the proper Service Reset. anyone have info on this? maybe is already done but idk know that
                            No more e30s for me.
                            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                            91 BMW 325i [sold]
                            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Damn etxxz, you're sorta making me want to go OBD2...Are you gonna delete the rear o2 banks? or run all 4?

Comment

Working...
                              X