Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    steering racks seems like an easy thing to rebuild like brake calipers

I’ve never opened or rebuilt a rack before, but judging by the rebuilt kits, it seems a little more complicated than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      What turbo? 17psi means squat. :P

If you have a large-ish turbo, you should be in the neighborhood of 5-600whp. 80lb should do the trick. Easy to test, though, throw a fuel gauge on the fuel line and see if pressure is dropping when you are creeping in the 14's. You FP should rise equally 1psi boost to 1psi fuel pressure, and hold steady at a steady boost level.

Just a hunch, but if you are still running ~8mm lines, you won't have enough volume. Run 12mm supply and 8mm return if you have stock junk.
      Thanks for the info i'm sorta in the dark about e85 needs.
      i'm not going to test the fp though seems like it's going to be the pump for sure.

ya idk i thought 17psi could give u a rough idea but it's an hx40 with a 18cm housing.
      you seen the thread on bimmerforums?

So now i need to run braided 8an/10an line all the way to my fuel rail
      weld a 8an to the rail or what do you recommend. Stock fpr?

Do you have a place i can get genuine walbro pumps
      because the prices on ebay and amazon are all over the place i'm scared of the china clones.
      These guys i trust but no sock or other connecter.

i'll give you a p.m if that's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        there are significantly more fiddly bits but otherwise its just replacing seals, I'm only speaking from having rebuilt calipers not a steering rack. I'd like to rebuild my rack while I have it laying around tho.
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        I’ve never opened or rebuilt a rack before, but judging by the rebuilt kits, it seems a little more complicated than that

They aren't terrible, just not worth the time. You will need long drifts or seal drivers etc to get the inside seals.

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
        Thanks for the info i'm sorta in the dark about e85 needs.
        i'm not going to test the fp though seems like it's going to be the pump for sure.

ya idk i thought 17psi could give u a rough idea but it's an hx40 with a 18cm housing.
        you seen the thread on bimmerforums?

So now i need to run braided 8an/10an line all the way to my fuel rail
        weld a 8an to the rail or what do you recommend. Stock fpr?

Do you have a place i can get genuine walbro pumps
        because the prices on ebay and amazon are all over the place i'm scared of the china clones.
        These guys i trust but no sock or other connecter.

i'll give you a p.m if that's ok.

PM or email, don't even mind here :P

If you are running e85, your injectors may be too small. With 93 octane and a 6cyl, it works almost to 100hp per 10lb of injector. You need to add at least 30% of injector on top of that for e85. It takes more corn juice to get the same AFR.

I said "mm" not -an. The stock hard line is 8mm, use that as a return and just run a new line for the supply if you don't want to make a surge tank which is much easier. To surge tank it, use the in tank pump and stock lines, run the supply up to a surge tank under the hood. Then a 12mm (~6an) to an external pump, to the fuel rail, return the rail to the surge tank using 8mm, overflow from surge tank uses stock 8mm return line back to tank. This will give you plenty of volume on the fly. An 8mm line running the length of the car isn't the best for big power. A local here blew m20 because of starvation issues. Was making over 500whp and he couldn't keep his foot out of it before the surge tank was installed.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm still running the original rack from 1988.
          No leaks/squeals etc.
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
            I'm still running the original rack from 1988.
            No leaks/squeals etc.

Maybe my third OE rack going bad is a sign i should upgrade

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

What do you mean by going bad, leaking or steering no worky worky?
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd
              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                What do you mean by going bad, leaking or steering no worky worky?
                leaky leaky

Comment

That's the worst kind of leaky

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Leaky...dribble...dribble...leaky?
                    1990 325is
                    m52b28
                    3.73lsd

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                      Leaky...dribble...dribble...leaky?

Full to empty in >2 mins

Comment

eww
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd

Comment

Damn I thought mine was bad!! Haha
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            Full to empty in >2 mins
                            Over two minutes or less than two minutes? If its the latter, that's not a leak that's a full on open drain lol.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

On a side-note (don't know if this belongs here):
                              I just saw a set of original electronically adjustable AC Schnitzer wing mirrors on the German eBay.
                              For 3.300 EUROS.
                              I know they are rare, but oh.my. freaking.god!
                              BOTH my current cars together only cost about 1k more than that, and they are complete cars...
                              Guess I'll certainly cross that item off my project-plan :-(

Max
                              E30-Fan from Germany, here to learn about and get some inspiration for my next car.

Comment

^that is stupid money. probably just someone swinging for the fence. I haven't even seen an alpina gage cluster go for that much. though...with that said, I still wouldn't sell mine even if I was offered that for it.

hey....we haven't heard a good story in a while. in fact, I think mine about stripper girl was the last one. anybody have anything entertaining? Bueller.....?
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X