OMG's Personal S54 Build :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    I hear you, I bought OEM ones and I was surprised at how expensive they were! I didnt want poly stuff either.

I went for ease of install :)
    Hehe and I don't blame you for doing so!

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
    I have a good e28 mount and a cracked one, I have a for sale ad for them up rn. Pm if you’re interested, I’m selling them for cheap.
    I think you misunderstood the point of what I'm doing :up:

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Seems close enough that a BFH could clearance it
    Yup, I think that might do the trick :)
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

So the BFH wasn't enough...

It didn't take too much time though. Bout 45min start to finish.

Some POR15 treatment:

I finally removed the brackets that held the coilpacks... only took a decade!

Going to clean the bay this weekend and then give it a fresh lick of paint so that it all looks a bit more cohesive. Next up will be to get the core support setup so that its removable quickly while still keeping things sturdy. I'm scraping the custom core support in the interest of speeding up the overall reassembly process. I promise to have less boring updates soon :)

Comment

I figured that "while I was in there" I might as well respray the bay. Dana had to really twist my arm to get this done because I couldn't be bothered but I am really really happy with the way it came out. It's not perfect by any means but its heaps better than it was previously.

The core support is completely done. Fairly simple but super super sturdy once bolted back together. I'd say its as firm as if it were still spot welded in.

Found a freebie while planning this out... The car had capacitive nuts already in the frame rail so I utilized that :)

First coat here...

I also ordered up all of the necessary decals from Pukar Designs to give it that extra touch.

Comment

Great work man! I would have personally used 2k clear. Holds up better to the heat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            Great work man! I would have personally used 2k clear. Holds up better to the heat.

Speaking another language there lol... I don't do paint work so I admit I have no clue whats what.

Can you elaborate a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
              Speaking another language there lol... I don't do paint work so I admit I have no clue whats what.

Can you elaborate a bit?
              Sure. The 1k and 2k are referring to the steps more or less. A 1k doesn't have an activate hardener where the 2k does (like an activator). In short the 2k, because of the way it's created, holds up more to heat and UV.

Comment

Sure. The 1k and 2k are referring to the steps more or less. A 1k doesn't have an activate hardener where the 2k does (like an activator). In short the 2k, because of the way it's created, holds up more to heat and UV.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I don't think I'll redo it for some time... With the core support now removable I can always go back to it. I can't even tell on the bottle whether its 2k or 1k

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I don't think I'll redo it for some time... With the core support now removable I can always go back to it. I can't even tell on the bottle whether its 2k or 1k
                  it says it on the label. I think you'll be OK though honestly, but in terms of longevity and making all your hard work last longer I would recommend using 2k in certain situations.

Another way to know the difference, the 2k will have a little button on the bottom that is the activator for the paint. Then you only have like 1hr to use the can.

I think for the engine bay you're going to be fine, although it does get super hot. When i did my taillights in all red, i was recommended a 2k clear and so far it's held up perfectly, even in UT harsh winters and daily driving.

Comment

it says it on the label.
                    Yes, the product is called 1K FillClean.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

it says it on the label. I think you'll be OK though honestly, but in terms of longevity and making all your hard work last longer I would recommend using 2k in certain situations.

Another way to know the difference, the 2k will have a little button on the bottom that is the activator for the paint. Then you only have like 1hr to use the can.

I think for the engine bay you're going to be fine, although it does get super hot. When i did my taillights in all red, i was recommended a 2k clear and so far it's held up perfectly, even in UT harsh winters and daily driving.
                      Originally posted by FredK View Post
                      Yes, the product is called 1K FillClean.
                      LOL guys I've been staring at this shit for too long.

I was zeroed in on just the label on the can

Comment

So the motor is in... that rear sump is a pain in the ass to work with much like E36's but tighter.

The motor mounts will NOT work. They need to shift about 1/4" to really get it right... so I will be ordering up some AKG mounts because I like their design most.

Comment

So the motor is in... that rear sump is a pain in the ass to work with much like E36's but tighter.

The motor mounts will NOT work. They need to shift about 1/4" to really get it right... so I will be ordering up some AKG mounts because I like their design most.
                          It seems a lot of people do this whole, buy one brand, end up getting AKG anyway.

Comment

Why not E28 :) Especially if you want softer.
                            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

It seems a lot of people do this whole, buy one brand, end up getting AKG anyway.

I don't think thats true on my part. I have done several motor swaps now and we've used E28 mounts for some customers and Revshift mounts for others... Not many opt for the AKG mounts because they are the most expensive of the bunch.

*EDIT* I'm stupid and ordered a stiffer mount LOL

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                              Why not E28 :) Especially if you want softer.
                              The only reason why I don't want to do that is because you have to flip the mount. The position of the nut within the subframe makes its a piece of shit to reach. I have a pair of brand new mounts on the shelf and just can't bring myself to do it.
                              Last edited by dude8383; 01-24-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Looks friggin great in the bay... still lots to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X