How rare are the 370mm steering wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How rare are the 370mm steering wheels?

I’ve been browsing the 370mm M-Tech 1 steering wheel market for a while now, and it seems that about 1 in 50 M tech 1 wheels for sale are the smaller 370mm version. They seem more rare here in the states. What cars came equipped with these originally? It appears a vast majority of M3 and “is” cars have 385mm MT1 or airbag wheels. Was the 370mm wheel a dealer option when the car was originally ordered or was it an after sale option from BMW?

Any info would be appreciated!
    Last edited by BoostinEuros; 11-17-2018, 09:11 PM.
    '91 "318is" slick top M50 turbo
    '97 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins
    '12 Mini Cooper S
    '89 318i Chump Car Project

All US spec E30 325eS, 325iS and M3's got the 385mm MT1 wheel standard before airbags came out. No US spec E30 came with the 370mm wheels. They could be ordered through the dealership though. They may have come on some of the European M3's and Motorsport edition models.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-17-2018, 08:41 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I am shocked that I never thought to ask this question before.

So, if no US models had it were there any factory fitment 370mm cars in ROW?

Do we know what year the sportier E30s would have gone from MT1 to MT2 wheels as standard fitment?

Comment

I don't know for sure. Hopefully some european members will chime in but I'd imagine it depends on the region.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Your right about them being Rare. Took forever to find one and its definitely a wheel size you don't see to often. I would also be interested in more history of the mtech wheels. Possibly someone has some info

Comment

Seems absurd that ten years ago these were still available new for ~$400, definitely regret not buying one, easily my favorite steering wheel.
            My Feedback

Comment

I'd love to track one down for cheap but will likely end up popping the $400-$500 that people are asking for
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

I got mine a while back and I will never go back to a 385. Totally worth it, the wheel feels better size wise and in my opinion it looks waaaaaaaaay better without the two blank spots on the two horizontal spokes.
                sigpic

Comment

Wheels were an option , Ive see US catalogs with all kinds in them so if you paid you got it

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

still bumped out when i gave mine away when i sold my 318is

Comment

Some 5series also equipped with the 370mm wheel. I got lucky couple month back at a decent price from someone who dont know the difference and at the same time a original m3 cluster.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	D2F3C09F-E6E1-49D3-B26D-288DA9D25374.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	7198337
                      Last edited by dsphil; 11-20-2018, 08:55 AM.
                      sigpic
                      327is
                      325es
                      325es
                      318is
                      Fiesta ST
                      E46 M3

Comment

You can find custom wheels at these guys https://www.woodensteeringwheels.com...eering-wheels/. I bought one for my lovely 1992 E30 and shipping took only two weeks.

Comment

I am not sure about the Tech I but I bought my Tech II a few years back brand new and it was harder to get then the 385. There was definitely a price gap between the two, I have not looked at them lately but it was expensive back then.
                          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Working...
                          X