Small, two bayonett fuse box in '87 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small, two bayonett fuse box in '87 325i

My longtime parts guy (OEM at good prices) gave me some advice he'd run across regarding my intermittant operation woes, painfully recounted in my thread down a few rows.

He said that bayonett fuses need to be scrutinized, that it's a weak design, the spring tension on the leaves can weaken over time. I told him there were no such fuses in my rig - spade type only. Imagine my surprise when tonight I examined a little box next to my fuse box that for some reason I had never looked at. Whattayaknow, two bayonett fuses, one with some funky looking grunge on one end. They are visible through the plastic now bit before I took it off there was a coating of dust on it, could not see them.

I had some extras for my MB, found two the right size, got my little stainless steel wire brush thingy plugged into my Dremel tool and cleaned everything up. Who woulda thought, my car started up and ran. I took it for a short spin, OMG felt nice. No missing, no cutting out. It had refused to start for a week or two at this point. It had healed itself in the past, I hadn't tried starting it before I cleaned the contacts and put in the new and cleaned fuses. Who knows.

I can't find any info about them just yet. I guess the next step would be to remove them while it's running.

These fuses are used for add-on accessories. One is a 12V+ switched and one is a 12V+ constant.

Do you have an add-on alarm or something attached to the output side of one or both of those fuses? If not, I'm not sure why cleaning those ceramic fuses / holders would have made any difference in how your car was running.

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

The first owner had an alarm system which I deleted. These look like factory somehow, the way the line goes into the bundle doesn't look add on but who knows.

Yup, I think you're right, those have nothing to do with ignition. This car is shaking my faith in all that is good in the world. It heals itself now and then and runs fine for a few days and then spark disappears again.

After posting the OP I started it up and removed both fuses - no effect.

Comment

BMW included an external fuse box where you could add fuses for accessories. Those fuses aren't factory but the connection is.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I can tell from the pictures those aren't hooked to anything. There would be wires coming out the other side of it was being used.

Have you checked your cap and rotor for wear / carbon deposits?

Comment

Working...
          X