No announcement yet.

Andrew's Sterlingsilber 90 325iS -> 318iS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks to be in great shape! What are your plans for it?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      Looks clean. Has it been repainted? Sterling Silver didn't hold up all that well (80's paint formulas, especially metallic, weren't great). Either that or somebody was meticulous with the paint.
      The paint is original. It’s pretty good for its age.
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

I plan to keep it stock mostly. Lightly restore it and maintain it. It will replace the X3 as my daily driver. I’m not going to make a big project out of it because I still need to finish the Defender, which is a massive project.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
          You know what I’m thinking now? :) Instead or changing the interior to black maybe I can get the silber uberkaro fabric. Since the seats are already grey leather I could do the centers so they’d be like the Evo 2.

Found the fabric here: http://www.atxautosport.com/bespoke-products.html
          Anyone order from them or know another supplier?

That would look killer.
          I just got black uberkaro covers from Stich 9.
          I would have been tempted to get grey but he said it was unavailable.
          1991 318iC
          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I’ve been busy refreshing everything under the bonnet. A lot of things needed replacement. So far I’ve done the following:

-New timing belt and tensioner, & new pin and spring for tensioner because those were missing (!)
            -New camshaft seal and housing o-ring (The Torx bolt was stripped from someone using an incorrect non-Torx socket, but I was able to fix it by tapping the correct socket onto it.)
            -Checked valve clearances. The cylinder head was replaced by the previous owner not long ago so they were still within spec. (He included the original head too.)
            -New rocker shaft end plugs (Those are a super PITA to remove and seat. The old ones were hard as a rock.)
            -New valve cover gasket
            -New radiator (Nissens. I think I would have preferred Valeo or NRF, but that’s what my local supplier had available.)
            -New cooling system hoses (CRP)
            -New water pump and gasket (Graf)
            -New thermostat & o-ring (Calorstat)
            -New fan clutch (Sachs)
            -New V belts (Continental)
            -New spark plug wire set (OP / IMC)
            -New spark plugs (NGK ZGR5A)
            -New distributor cap (Bremi)
            -New distributor rotor (Bremi)
            -New crankshaft position sensor (Vemo)
            -New ignition coil (Bosch)
            -New coolant temp sensor for DME (Bosch)
            -New coolant temp sensor for cluster gauge (Genuine BMW)
            -New air filter (Mann)

Also going to install a new fuel filter (Mahle) and I found a brand new genuine Bosch AFM on eBay so I ordered that. Hopefully I can get this car purring like a kitten. :)
            Last edited by Andrew325is; 03-14-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Sub'd looks like a really start!
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

That's a long list!

If it were me, I'd buy all the parts, put them on the shelf (never to be installed - who has time for that?) and forget I have them.. and then buy them again.

No, really - I'm constantly in the garage, finding a random box I forgot about, and realizing I have 3 more of the same thing. Arg...

Can't wait for the kids to help me, good thing they love E30s!
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've done that before. A couple times for the Defender project. I made a list of parts I need, but then I would delete them after I ordered them. Now I keep it listed and mark it ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    That's a long list!

If it were me, I'd buy all the parts, put them on the shelf (never to be installed - who has time for that?) and forget I have them.. and then buy them again.

No, really - I'm constantly in the garage, finding a random box I forgot about, and realizing I have 3 more of the same thing. Arg...

Can't wait for the kids to help me, good thing they love E30s!
                    Spit out my drink reading this. About to put a bunch of shit for sale online that I bought 3 times for my project.
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I’ve been busy refreshing everything under the bonnet. A lot of things needed replacement. So far I’ve done the following:

-New timing belt and tensioner, & new pin and spring for tensioner because those were missing (!)
                      -New camshaft seal and housing o-ring (The Torx bolt was stripped from someone using an incorrect non-Torx socket, but I was able to fix it by tapping the correct socket onto it.)
                      -Checked valve clearances. The cylinder head was replaced by the previous owner not long ago so they were still within spec. (He included the original head too.)
                      -New rocker shaft end plugs (Those are a super PITA to remove and seat. The old ones were hard as a rock so the shop that replaced the head must have re-used them…not good.)
                      -New valve cover gasket
                      -New radiator (Nissens. I think I would have preferred Valeo or NRF, but that’s what my local supplier had available.)
                      -New cooling system hoses (CRP)
                      -New water pump and gasket (Graf)
                      -New thermostat & o-ring (Wahler) (The old o-ring was on the wrong side of the thermostat and part of it was sticking out the hose port.)
                      -New fan clutch (Sachs)
                      -New V belts (Continental)
                      -New spark plug wire set (OP / IMC)
                      -New spark plugs (NGK ZGR5A)
                      -New distributor cap (Bremi)
                      -New distributor rotor (Bremi)
                      -New crankshaft position sensor (Vemo) (original tested over 65k ohms… yeah, that’s probably bad lol)
                      -New ignition coil (Bosch)
                      -New coolant temp sensor for DME (Bosch)
                      -New coolant temp sensor for cluster gauge (FAE. That’s what I had on hand. Since the genuine one is available again I’ll probably get one of those later.)
                      -New air filter (Mann)

Also going to install a new fuel filter (Mahle) and I found a brand new genuine Bosch AFM on eBay so I ordered that. Hopefully I can get this car purring like a kitten. :)

Nice find, awesome work and amazing orignal paint. Nothing better than a clean Sterling. I may be a little biased on the color though.
                      Last edited by Zeemz; 01-21-2019, 07:43 PM.
                      1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                      1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                      September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                      Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
                        Nice find, awesome work and amazing original paint. Nothing better than a clean Sterling. I may be a little biased on the color though.
                        Thanks. I like yours too. Love the houndstooth door cards.

Comment

Thanks. I like yours too. Love the houndstooth door cards.
                          I have a really nice set of black/anthracite houndstooth door cards, and rear seat, for a coupe, if you want them.
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Nice! I too prefer cloth sport seats over vinyl or leather :)
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                              I have a really nice set of black/anthracite houndstooth door cards, and rear seat, for a coupe, if you want them.
                              That's tempting! I decided I'm going to keep the silver though.

Comment

You don't see a brand new one of these very often. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X