Fuel priming procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel priming procedure?

I recently did the axle carrier, and trailing arm bushings.
    While in there, I dropped the tank and had it boiled (mountains of crap in there, and old fuel pump, a filter and a bolt) ,of course I did the fuel filter at the same time
    Got the whole mess back together. I put 6 gallons of fuel in the tank and have been cranking forever. The fuel system was completely dry from the tank fix. Fuel pump has power when cranking, as it should. Anyone have experience with this? I am getting worried about this much cranking on the starter and battery.
    ...before you go there. I searched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, you can't rule out a blockage (pump/filter/injectors), a crossed line, or a dead pump, so check where the fuel has traveled so far as a first step.

If you find fuel at near the rail it's possible that you could have an air pocket (but you shouldn't), and then you would have to open the system forward of that to clear it.

Comment

The pump will turn on briefly when you first turn on the key. So just turn the key on and off several times to "prime" the system. Then crank.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
        The pump will turn on briefly when you first turn on the key. So just turn the key on and off several times to "prime" the system. Then crank.
        only on the M42. On M20, M10, and S14 cars, the fuel pump only runs when the engine is cranking.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Use an external 12V power to turn the pump on.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            only on the M42. On M20, M10, and S14 cars, the fuel pump only runs when the engine is cranking.
            Interesting. Didn't know that.

Comment

CPS, correct?
              1990 325i
              2004 330i Individual 6-speed
              sigpic

Comment

If everything is hooked up like it should be and everything is bone dry (except the tank) the fuel will take like 1-3 seconds to get from the pump to the engine. If after 5 seconds you have nothing you have bigger problems.

Comment

My L-Jetronic 323i e30 m20 has a priming circut built into the fuel pump relay. I cant find reference to the e30 one quickly, but here is info in relation to the e28. Don't think the Americans got the 323i e30s though. L-jet is a fairly archaic system but kinda cool they included this timed relay.

Last edited by e30davie; 01-15-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Just jumper the fuel pump relay at pins 30 and 87. The fuel pump will run as long as you want!
                    The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Wow. Thanks guys.
                      Definitatly taking more than 3 seconds. I disconnected fuel line and checked for plugs. Blew low pressure air through and was clear. So I pulled the pump and connected directly to the battery. It just clicks. I cant hear anything running. It was working fine when it came out. So I am thinking bad pump right? Must have some how went bad when carefully removing and replacing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jake5 View Post
                        Wow. Thanks guys.
                        Definitatly taking more than 3 seconds. I disconnected fuel line and checked for plugs. Blew low pressure air through and was clear. So I pulled the pump and connected directly to the battery. It just clicks. I cant hear anything running. It was working fine when it came out. So I am thinking bad pump right? Must have some how went bad when carefully removing and replacing?

Oh yah. Checked power when cranking. Good. Then after checking lines, I disconnected before filter ti see if it would pump. Nothing. Then removed pump and hooked to battery as above. So yah bad pump right?

Comment

Originally posted by jake5 View Post
                          Oh yah. Checked power when cranking. Good. Then after checking lines, I disconnected before filter ti see if it would pump. Nothing. Then removed pump and hooked to battery as above. So yah bad pump right?

Oops. Wire backwards. It kinda whirs softly. Still though, didn't pump so gatta be the pump. Crap nuggets!

Comment

I bought a new pump assembly off Amazon for $50 for my rallycross car 2 years ago. It's been holding up great. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Electric-1614...dp/B07L8T81F6/

You can also find just the pump itself for $25.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

What could possibly go wrong.
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                              X