No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are innovative enough I believe it's been mentioned before that you can reuse the old E30 HP hose instead of buying the E36 one.

Comment

yea i think imma try that........i got a lil binding but imma grind it out.....

M52 |S52 Cams|E36 Rack Swap|GC Coilover Kit |. . . . . . . . . More To Come

Comment

:(
        Originally posted by Ritalin Kid View Post
        If you are innovative enough I believe it's been mentioned before that you can reuse the old E30 HP hose instead of buying the E36 one.
        Damn........i alreay bought a e36 one..........

Comment

........my shit looks jacked up......i used the e36 line but i didnt it at all......and the lines for my bottle i have to shorten.......I will Post pics Soon.....

Comment

Shortening the bottle lines are no big deal, just be careful with the HP line.
            Originally posted by KingB
            Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

cool ...thanks for the write-up, I'm thinking while I have the engine out I might as well swap the rack to the e-36

Comment

Got one stupid question from a noobie. What is the purpose and advantage of doing this mod? Thanks

The Ultimate Driving Machine is Yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by K V N View Post
                  Got one stupid question from a noobie. What is the purpose and advantage of doing this mod? Thanks
                  Less turns lock-to-lock. Meaning better steering response.

Comment

Originally posted by mazur View Post
                    Less turns lock-to-lock. Meaning better steering response.
                    IMO it also gives the car the feel of what you would expect newer small cars to feel like instead of feeling like you're driving a 1980 Buick Regal.

Comment

Are the inner tie rods interchangeable in between the e30 and e36 (z3) racks??? I dont want to put my Z3 rack in if I am going to have less steering angle. :p
                      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
                        Are the inner tie rods interchangeable in between the e30 and e36 (z3) racks??? I dont want to put my Z3 rack in if I am going to have less steering angle. :p
                        You are going to want a 95 M3 rack, not a Z3 rack.... There is less travel on the z3 rack, but the same on the m3 rack.
                        :: PNW Crew ::
                        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Guess I gotta sell my z3 rack then.
                          Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                          EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                          FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                          NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                          Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                          ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Yea, there is 3 turns lock to lock on a M3 rack instead of 2.7..because that .3 of a turn is less travel, not a tighter ratio.
                            :: PNW Crew ::
                            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Dammit! I already bought a Z3 rack.. Also, the spacers I bought from BMA using Ritalin Kid's parts list are too small, methinks. So are the mounts on the Z3 rack smaller than the mounts on the M3 rack?

Comment

I just measured the difference and sure enough, the Z3 rack has approximately 0.5 inches less travel than the original E30 rack. ~5 5/8" vs 6 1/8".

Does anyone know how much of a turn radius difference this translates into? If it isn't too much I'll keep the Z3 rack, it isn't installed yet...

Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X