Engine Swap - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Swap - Opinions

Hey guys, I thinking comtemplating an engine swap for my E30 325is coupe 1990. What are some of the more popular and feasible choices for this application? Does anyone have any suggestions?
    2005 BMW 545i 6M
    2005 Toyota Corolla CE
    2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Terry Sayther, www.terrysaytherauto.com/Home.htm
    AKG Motorsport, www.akgmotorsport.com

These two links have a lot of them. I did see a link that had all the engines on one page but don't know where I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse
      I did see a link that had all the engines on one page but don't know where I saw it.
      yeah. i lost track of that site too. was nice. had weights, power outputs, and cars they came from..

anyone ?

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

You realize that searching will help you so incredibly much more than this generic question right? Don't be lazy. Just two options here documented on R3v:

Start Here:

The M/S5X swap is popular for many reasons.

The M30/S38 swaps also yield good results for more power.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You realize that searching will help you
          ah yes. Thanks for the prodding

the page

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

M20B25.

oh wait. you are forunate enough to have one already... keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S
              ah yes. Thanks for the prodding
              Just stating that taking the time even while researching will pay off, there wasn't any attitude in that post.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S
                Thats it. I would love to see someone, some how put an s70 into an e30

Comment

I know I will get flamed.. but I believe if you're going to take the time to swap an engine into a car you should go with an engine that will respond well to mods and not cost an arm and a leg to obtain them.

For these reasons I'm very partial to the the 2JZ-GTE swap. You can get an engine and 6 speed tranny w/ wiring harness for about the price of 1 S52 long block alone. Once you have the engine in place you have TONS more performance options than you do with the M50/S50 swap.

I just can't bring myself to go through the trouble of a M50 swap for 30 extra horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                    2JZ-GTE swap
                    Not being a dick but Is that a BMW motor? Never heard of it thats why I am asking

Comment

what is 2JZ-GTE?
                      2005 BMW 545i 6M
                      2005 Toyota Corolla CE
                      2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Comment

Surely you guys know what a 2JZ engine is..

2JZ-GTE = Toyota Twin Turbo Straight Six found in the Toyota Supra.

They present a few more challenges than your everyday BMW engine swap because you will have to fab an engine harness adapter, custom drive train and rear differential depending on the HP you plan on putting down.

The engine is relaible on stock internals up to 600hp at the crank.

Comment

So those are just readily available. I have never heard of that being implanted in an e30. Would that fit? the supra's nose is a lot longer than ours.

$2300 on ebay with 38K miles on it. Not bad

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse
                            So those are just readily available. I have never heard of that being implanted in an e30
                            I have but it would cost a ton to get everything to fit right

edit: I've even seen sr20det's, RB26dett's and some others
                            ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

How many miles on current engine? Why don't you sell the 325is, buy another e30 with a blown engine or something, swap in a new motor, and win our praise for undertaking such a restoration project like Jordan did

Comment

Working...
                              X