No announcement yet.

Camaro Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok cool, what kinda suspension are you running? and are the mustang shocks pretty good?

Comment

The springs were cheapo eBay specials that I think a few others on here jumped on... Suspension tech? I can't remember. They're soft Springs but with the adjustable Mustang shocks and the adjustable konis I'm running up front it's no problem. I'm switching to h&r race or ie3 in a couple of months.

I haven't run any autox or track with this setup since my rear subframe needs refreshing. I've run it in the canyons and it feels pretty good considering the spring rates I'm running are too soft.
      sigpic

Comment

I've been running camaro kyb stock replacements with h&r sports and they definitely do not fall out at full droop. I don't think they are even loose.

A tip for removing the sleeve from your old shock. If your new shocks came with a wierd double ended stud thing, grind the threads slightly and it will fit into the sleeve in your old shock and lube with oil. Put it in a press or vise with a tube or deep socket on the back side and you can squeeze the sleeve out without damage. I then pressed the sleeve into the Camaro shock with a bit of wd40.

Comment

i'm running camaro rears with cosmos racing springs with no adjusters and cant go any lower.

Instagram - ianstough

Comment

Would the Camaro's be a good match with IE Race springs (& no spring pads)? Im pretty sure my rear shocks are worn and have been considering these as a replacement for my Blisteins
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Would the Camaro's be a good match with IE Race springs (& no spring pads)? Im pretty sure my rear shocks are worn and have been considering these as a replacement for my Blisteins
              Should be good, but the mustang route seems better. I have AGX's with 800r and it's too soft for the heavy assed vert. 500f but it's better compared to the rear. No way are the Mustang ones too short. Full droop on AGX's and there's at least 6" clearance between fenders and 225/50/16 tire. Barely holding the spring.

Compared to my cousins e36 m3, his rides harsher on washboard type roads. He has stock springs with bilstein sports. If I decide to keep the e30, custom valved billies seem like the best choice.
              Last edited by THEhomelessONE; 01-31-2015, 05:26 PM.

RIP 02/25/15
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...16#post4356816

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                Was the shaft part that goes in to the bearings bigger or smaller then the e30? If they are smaller mcmaster.com has a pretty nice selection of metric brass inserts.

Was the total length of the body and shaft 4" shorter. From what i read on starion forums the body is 2" shorter. My ix inserts are 13' long which are 3" shorter then stock. IIRC. Here a pic of an mr2 rear insert.
                Great info on the mr2 struts. I'm running camaro rear shocks already (just an oe replacement, non adjustable), really liking them over the bilstein HD and sport shocks with the IE S3 springs.

For the mr2 rear struts, I can't get a listing for a rebuildable insert past 1989 (in Canada). Do the 89 inserts have the same valving/rates as the 91's that members on here have discussed? Hate to to the labour getting them in and find the struts are too soft.

Thanks for the help figuring this out!

Comment

The body on 89's are smaller (diameter)

Comment

Originally posted by yert315 View Post
                    The body on 89's are smaller (diameter)
                    Thanks for the reply! I'll probably give them a try anyways, for $25 a piece seems like they are still worth experimenting with.

*Update* The 89 rear MR2 struts have been installed in the e30 for about 18 months now paired with OE Camaro rear shocks and IE S3 springs.

To use the 89 MR2 inserts i needed to make a 2" spacer to compensate for the difference in strut length and ground where the upper strut bushing rests down to 15mm, the threads on the struts did not need to be modified.

I was running Bilstein Sport shocks/struts with the IE S3's and would bottom out the struts/shocks regularly causing them to blow every 1-3 months. The ride quality of the S3's and Bilstein's when they werent blown felt soft and bouncy unless they bottomed out then it was just harsh. The MR2 struts and Camaro rears feel slightly firmer on compression and noticeably firmer on rebound and the car does not feel bouncy anymore.

I really like the Camaro/MR2 combination with the IE S3's. That said, I really hate my springs and will be looking for some guidance selecting spring rates in the spring!
                    Last edited by Golfer_705; 01-18-2017, 09:45 PM. Reason: Finally remembered to update

Comment

Quick question instead of getting bilstein sports or camaro shocks, I got lowering springs 60/30mm the other day and bilstein sport is what everyones running for lowering springs instead of stock shocks in the rear, has anyone tried Saab 900 rear shocks? the eylet is 12x50 and the e30s is 12x40 eylet I found it buy looking at a measurement chart? Also Ive seen that you might be able to use mercedes benz w124 300e rear shocks are suppose to be even stiffer then billys but im just wondering about the saab 900 instead of bilstein sports? saabs lengths are 17.87 extended and 11.69 compressed here is the chart i was looking at standard e30 is S1 top mount E2 12x40 bottom mount http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/...os/dimensions/
                      Last edited by alpineE30; 01-15-2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

I'm no suspension expert by any means but from my experience with a few different shocks on this car to me the advantage is not availability as much as finding an adjustable shock for less.

I'm running koni adjustables up front and mustang adjustables from strange engineering in the back. I found that being able to adjust rebound makes an impact on handling more than I thought. It's also nice to be able to experiment at the autox and be able to bring it back to a more tolerable ride on the way home. I've only recently realized how much I can dial these back to make a more smooth ride.
                          sigpic

Comment

Just finished installing KYB Excel-G shocks all around for a grand total of $85 after rebate! I used Camaro rears and MR2 rear inserts for the front. These are paired with H&R sports 50406 for coupe but installed in a vert with E90 drop hats. No more bottoming out and handling is absolutely amazing! The Excel-Gs are quality shocks, made in Japan and Nitrogen filled. If you want a step up from factory, give these a try.

Comment

I'm also going to attempt this combo this weekend and I can provide some detailed photos.
                              - 98 M3 Cabrio
                              Photo work: http://www.herbreal.com
                              Instagram: @herbreal
                              Twitter:the_herb_real

Comment

I took a few pics but not as many to make a proper guide.

Quick tip for spacers, I used 3/4" gas pipe and cap from homedepot to fill the gap in the front struts.

You'll have to grind down the top of shafts on the inserts to fit in the mounts and reduce diameter 1mm down to 14mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X