325ix ABS Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix ABS Help!

Sorry for the long winded essay, but just wanted to give as much background info as I could.

Been struggling with this ABS issue on/off now for about a month, I've read many ABS troubleshooting forum posts/e30 electrical troubleshooting guide/asked local e30 mechanics and can't seem to figure out the issue, so if anyone can share some insight I'd greatly appreciate it!

I've got a 1988 325ix (production date was actually 11/87) with roughly 180k miles on it, bought it cheap, sight unseen, from someone who didn't know what he had. Seemed pretty honest about the condition of the car....wish I wasn't so trusting of people.

Anyways, it all started with the pesky e30 odometer gears being all worn out so I took the cluster out to repair them, upon putting them back in, I had noticed that as well as the 3 harnesses (Blue/White/Yellow) there were 2 sets of wires going to bulb harnesses not attached to the cluster. Got some new bulbs and of course my ABS light was on.

I know that for these cars there are 3 simple diagnostics with the ABS Lights mine being "ABS Light comes on with ignition and doesn't go out" meaning there is a wiring problem, bad module, or bad ABS relay or weak/bad alternator.

Found that info here - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=291172

I started by pulling the module and the relay out of the car, the relay was bad (the internal fuse was blown) so I DIY'D a fix for it and checked to make sure it was working correctly - it was. Buttoned everything back up and the light was still on.

I knew power was passing through the relay so my next step was to make sure power was getting to the module. After digging around a bit in manuals/forums I found that on the wiring harness to the module;

Pins 10, 20 and 34 should be Ground
    Pins 15 and 25 should read 14V
    Pin 29 should read .69V

Found the electrical troubleshooting guide here. Really great resource, I have it saved on my iPad so I can pull it up quickly in the garage.
    https://forums.bimmertips.com/viewtopic.php?t=134

Everything checked out except pin 15 was reading at 1.5V. According to the schematics, Pin 15 is being provided voltage from the Alternator. Took my voltmeter to the back of my alternator and found that it was only outputting 1.5V. Pulled it, got it bench tested and determined I needed a new voltage regulator. Popped a new one in and it was outputting the correct 14V. Went back to Pin 15 on the wiring harness and that too was outputting the 14V.

Once again, buttoned everything back up, went to start the car and....light is still on. So it must be the module right? Scoured the web to see if ABS modules were IX specific (still haven't found a definitive answer) but went ahead and bought a used module off of a '88 325ix (seller said it was working when pulled from car) just to be safe. Just got it in the mail yesterday, plugged it in and still Lights!

What are the chances of two bad modules, am I missing anything? Should I start looking at ABS sensors, (even though diagnostic light would not turn on until being driven for bad sensor)

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

I went through this same pain, check the abs sensors on each hub, mine happened to be the right broken, and driver's side was barely attached. It took me 2 months to figure that out, I tested them in the car with a ohm meter, and they where fine.
    Only when I hooked it up and wiggled the wires at top bottom middle and everywhere else did I find the break, check by the hub where the cable makes a 90 degree turn, mine was all corroded and shorting out both sides of the wires.

Mine had the light on all the time, not just when rolling, which led me down your path of not thinking it was a sensor. Don't give up!

Comment

Originally posted by rwtags View Post
      I went through this same pain, check the abs sensors on each hub, mine happened to be the right broken, and driver's side was barely attached. It took me 2 months to figure that out, I tested them in the car with a ohm meter, and they where fine.
      Only when I hooked it up and wiggled the wires at top bottom middle and everywhere else did I find the break, check by the hub where the cable makes a 90 degree turn, mine was all corroded and shorting out both sides of the wires.

Mine had the light on all the time, not just when rolling, which led me down your path of not thinking it was a sensor. Don't give up!
      Thanks for the suggestion! I unplugged all the components, cleaned all contacts and plugged erverything back in with a newer abs ecu and the constant light went away! Took it for a test drive and it popped up, but only after driving which led me to sensor issues. Did the pull and drive test and led me to 3 bad sensors (both rear and passenger front). Going to try and repair one of them but two of them got mangeled while extracting so I’ll have to replace them.

Anyone know if ABS sensors are IX specific? Tried to find part numbers on realoem.com but couldn’t. New ones are not the cheapest and I have a buddy with a set of used ones off of his Is. would love to be able to grab those and not have to hunt for IX ones.

Comment

Front sensors are iX specific. Rears are not.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          Front sensors are iX specific. Rears are not.
          Appreciate it,

Thanks!

Comment

I scored some on eBay for I think 20 a pop best offer. Worked perfectly

Comment

Take the bulb out. Problem solved. :p
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
                Take the bulb out. Problem solved. :p
                This all started because the original owner removed the bulb and never told me. Trying to bring this car back to life!

Comment

Working...
                X