No announcement yet.

1991 318iS M50 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, machine shop called today and they have to bore the cylinders. I’m trying not to blow the budget by going forged pistons so has anyone bored an M50 to 86.4mm and run S52 pistons with boost before? Any concern for wall thickness?

Comment

Got it sorted out! Gonna bore it to 86.5 mm and run forged CP pistons with Crower rods!

Comment

power goals?
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

In all honesty, I started this build wanting 300 rwhp. But as I get more in to and issues arise, I'm opting to build the engine for way more than I'd ever likely use. With that said, I would expect this engine to easily put down over 500 rwhp. I may run it at that after I get used to the setup to beat my buddy with his new fancy mustang 5.0

Comment

Finally got the pistons to the machine shop so they can measure them and bore the block accordingly. Now the next question, for my clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and starter, I am thinking of going with a lightened M20 flywheel, M20 starter, and still undecided on what clutch but likely something to handle 500+ ft-lbs. I currently have an M50 and M54 flywheel, is there any point to me buying an M20 flywheel or can the M50 flywheel be lightened just as easily?

Comment

Well I finally realized I bit off more than I could chew after building the bottom end and the engine sitting like that for roughly a year. I sent all parts for the swap to buddy in Houston who is now doing the work! The build must go on one way or another!

Comment

Working...
              X