Bumpers, bumpers, bumpers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumpers, bumpers, bumpers!

There are a lot of different bumpers out there and there are a lot of people who hate thiers so maybe we should cover some of the basics of the E30 bumpers.

First there are the E30s made before 1988. All E30s made before 88 either got the international chrome bumper or the very large aluminum and rubber 5mph bumper that looks like this:

These cars can NOT take the plastic bumpers without heavy modification shown in Jordan's tech article. And no, there is no easy way that doesnt result in it looking horrid.

For cars made in 1988 and beyond you CAN install the plastic bumpers everyone knows and loves because those cars have the lower rear arches. On the cabrios you may want to install the latter valance to finish the update but they are a bolt on mod (except for cutting the tow hook):

For those of you who have the late model International bumpers you might wanna know, "How can I be more Euro?" Well dont fret, you too can have the opportunity. The only difference in the late model Euro bumpers is the deletion of the sidemarkers. You can get the trim that doesnt have the sidemarkers and then sell your sidemarkers to someone in Europe, they are the shizzle over there.

Now before you guys with the ugly, horrid, evil US 5mph bumpers start crying there is an out. The international market bumpers for the early cars were slick little chrome units that look great and are a bolt on mod (only drill 2 holes) for the early cars.

These are what they look like over the stock US valance and with a stock rear:

Then if you have plastic bumpers and money (they are expensive) you can install the mtec2 bumper covers and bodykit:

Just to reiterate. Unless you have lots of money or own a bodyshop you cant have plastic bumpers look right on a pre-88 car.

*some pics jacked from Fred
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Dont forget that if u do have the horrid pre-88 diving boards u can always do a free, fairly easy, bumper-tuck. Here is Eurospeed88's write-up: http://www.r3vlimited.com/Tech/tuck.htm

like this:

98 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask37
      Here is Jordans write-up: http://www.r3vlimited.com/Tech/tuck.htm
      That is MY write-up, thank you very much. :D

Comment

And while you are in here check out the cool threads about US/International grilles and headlights.

C'mon, all your friends are doing it!
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

Just to re-emphasize and show PROOF...for any US 1988 e30 2 0r 4 door (cabrio's not included); its PLUG & PLAY to go from div. boards to plastic bumpers. For some odd reason, the word about this doesn't seem to have spread around :?

Comment

true true, i read it somewhere that e30 from 09/87 to the month bmw changed to plastic can be pnp without any major modification or whatsoever.
            eDz

Comment

if your bumper kindda looks upward how should you attempt to fix it?

Comment

Ill add to this i guess about verts to clear that up.
                Any year Verts can swap plastic bumpers on there car to replace the metal bumpers. However the rear valance on coupes is part of the uni body.

90 325is
                IE stage 3s and refeshed m20....

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta
                  if your bumper kindda looks upward how should you attempt to fix it?
                  adjust it 8)
                  eDz

Comment

just the 2 big 10mm bolts take em out, then adjust em??

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta
                      just the 2 big 10mm bolts take em out, then adjust em??
                      try loosening em, and adjust the bumper, what bumper tho ? plastic or diving board?
                      eDz

Comment

plastic front bumper.

Comment

hello!
                          so if i`m not wrong, then i can put bampers from 88+ to my `85 323
                          without some kinda of "cut" "weld" modifications ?

i`m talking about front and rear bumpers.

thanks for any info ;)

p.s. also i`m making by myself "hella smoked front optics"
                          and some other projects

l8ter u will get the picturers =)

Comment

Originally posted by dableds
                            hello!
                            so if i`m not wrong, then i can put bampers from 88+ to my `85 323
                            without some kinda of "cut" "weld" modifications ?

i`m talking about front and rear bumpers.

thanks for any info ;)

p.s. also i`m making by myself "hella smoked front optics"
                            and some other projects

l8ter u will get the picturers =)
                            88+ bumper -> 85 323 ? i dont think so
                            88+ plastic -> 88 metal bumper = no mod
                            eDz

Comment

anyone have pictures of tucked diving boards painted? I am thinking about it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Working...
                              X