89 325ix starts then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 325ix starts then dies

So i try to start the car and it immediately dies. Listed below is everything i have done so far

Okay so replaced a bunch of gaskets and sensors on the car trying to clear up a rough idle issue. I replaced intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket as well as the one on the side of the throttle body, all the vacuum lines for the brake booster and the check valve and the part that plugs into the intake elbow, timing belt and tensioner, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, intermediate shaft seal, bitch pipe upper and lower orings, oil filter housing orings, i replaced fuel filter, injectors, fuel lines, cap rotor, plugs, wires, coil. Throttle body was cleaned as well as the ICV. I tested the resistance of the ICV and throttle position sensor and they both checked out. Any ideas?

airflow meter
    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      airflow meter
      Is there anyway to test the AFM?

Comment

Originally posted by RWD BLOWS View Post
        Is there anyway to test the AFM?

Comment

I changed the air flow meter with no change as a result.

Comment

I jist did a fuel pressure test and it came in at 43 psi while cranking

Comment

So i decided to pull everything back apart and check the timing marks at TDC while the crankshaft is perfect the camshaft marks are off by about 1/8th inch. What do i need to do to reset the timing? Sorry everyone im a first timer doing something like this. Can i just pop the belt back off and rotate the camshaft the tiny bit that i need to get the timing perfect?

Comment

yeah, you can do that.

however, the cam being off by a tooth won't make the motor not work.

if you have a multimeter and a bentley manual, you can do a continuity test between the AFM and the ECU plug. It's possible that while you were in there a wire got pulled or broken off. I keep going on about the AFM because "starting and then stopping after a second or two" is exactly what happens when the AFM is not functioning.
                cars beep boop

Comment

Yeah i will do that, unfortunately I don't have a bentley manual. Its almost like the cars not even starting at all. I verified i have fuel pressure and spark. I tried starting it on starter fluid and nothing....

Comment

I also just done testing the AFM itself using the procedure that was posted by another member in this thread and the AFM itself checks out so a possibility of the wiring being bad between the connector for the AFM and the DME. Any procedure in testing this would be very helpful.....i wish i had a bentley manual.

I just thought of something i tested the AFM with it connected in the car so it proves that the wiring is correct from the DME to the AFM
                    Last edited by RWD BLOWS; 12-02-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I tried doing the stomp test about 100 times and cant get it to work. I follow a how to video on youtube on how to do it precisely and it doesnt do anything. All I hear is the fuel pump forever running when I turn the ignition on

Comment

if your stomp test is not working, your TPS is not triggering at least one of the idle or WOT switches.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

I did test the TPS itself and it is working so maybe the DME or the wiring from the DME to the TPS?

Comment

Originally posted by RWD BLOWS View Post
                            Yeah i will do that, unfortunately I don't have a bentley manual. Its almost like the cars not even starting at all. I verified i have fuel pressure and spark. I tried starting it on starter fluid and nothing....
                            Had the same intermittent problem with my 86' 325e.

Try testing your crankshaft position sensor. I don't know the tolerance of the resistance off the top of my head but that could be the culprit of your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo19 View Post
                              Had the same intermittent problem with my 86' 325e.

Try testing your crankshaft position sensor. I don't know the tolerance of the resistance off the top of my head but that could be the culprit of your problem.
                              The CPS has less then 500 miles on it and I also tested it again just for shits n gigs and the resistance reading was within spec. I've tested the AFM, ICV, TPS. I need to do some DME testing and I need to test the wiring going to the TPS. I cant get the stomp test to work no matter what I try to do. I just dont know if a faulty TPS would lock my car out from starting/stay running. Basically what's happening is that it tries to start and then immediately dies.

Comment

Working...
                              X