Z3 s54 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 s54 swap

Hi all, new to the group and happy to read it all and learn.
    Hope its ok to post z3 question :)
    Im now swapping my z3 into s54 and trying to figure some issiues. Hope i can get some help from you.
    My car is 4 cyl and as i understand i need new engine mount arms.
    Read few posts and some said i can use the 6 cyl engine mount arms but some recomended to use a certain one for specific side...
    The thing is i allready bought the normal 6 cyl arms. Will it work properly with them? Dont wanna start the project and get stuck.
    Hope u can direct me wisely from your experience :)

As BMW made a Z3M S54, buy all the parts for that.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...02-Z3-BMW-Z3_M

Comment

Thanks.
      Seems like anly the left arm is different and unique to z3m s54, but cannot find any of them on web for sale.
      As i know the z3 shares almost the same chassis with the e36... If someone have experience with the e 36 swap... Can i use the normal e36 6 cyl engine arms? Does it work for you?

Comment

Yes, the only difference is the Z3M support arm has a provision for a support bracket for the plenum. Lots of times the E36 swappers just use the stock arms and fab up there own attachment point for the plenum support bracket. Hard to describe but easy to see when you have it all together. You can buy the arm new (or you could a few months ago) for around $700 (its been a while that is not an exact figure), they hardly ever come up at the wreckers/salvage yards, and if they come up on the forums they will sell for around $500. I would just use the stock arms and add attachment for the support bracket.

The rest of your swap should be pretty plug and play. Hope it goes well!

Comment

Wow man thanks alot for your answer! Really helped me!
          Im also having some issiues with the ecu and harness... Got some knowledge about that?

Comment

I wouldn't call it plug & play. The mechanical aspects are straightforward, but there is a lot to wire, especially if your Z3 isn't a 2001-2002 with CAN cluster. You still need a swap flash, won't have A/C & CEL without additional work, etc.

Comment

gpeterson, I should clarify that I was talking mainly about the mechanical side of it. Yes, there is still things to figure out, but since the engine was at least offered in that chassis it much easier than most. But, everything that you are stating is right on, without knowing the year, etc.. there is no way to know how much or how hard this will be.

OP. the part # for the Z3M harness you would need is 12517831637. Again, there will be a lot ahead of you as far as wiring etc.. But the actual swap of the engine, especially with the use of this harness will be very straight forward and not much different than an regular engine swap. The additional wiring, especially on an older model will not be as easy, but it can be done.

Comment

^ If you need swap coding should you not use EWS nor CAN follow my sig for all that is necessary.

Comment

Working...
                X