Fuel setups m52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel setups m52 swap

As I begin to collect the necessary parts for my m52 swap I’m trying to think ahead and plan out an adequate fuel system. I have a m52b28 iron block with zf trans that I plan on dropping in my early model e30 that will be used for the track. I plan on going with a turbo here soon as well. I s50 cams and a s52 crank shaft to go in it along with the m50 manifold.

I’ve seen a lot about the Well Cell by ATL. Wondering if it’s worth the $600 and what else I would need. Any ideas or links to educate myself on fuel systems would be greatly appreciated.

I use an ebay surge tank on my racecar with a bosch 044 pump. Basically setup is intank pump ----> surge tank ----> bosch 044 ----> fuel rail ----> back to surge tank -----> back to main tank. With this setup it will pump fuel to the last drop with no starvation in corners.

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
      I use an ebay surge tank on my racecar with a bosch 044 pump. Basically setup is intank pump ----> surge tank ----> bosch 044 ----> fuel rail ----> back to surge tank -----> back to main tank. With this setup it will pump fuel to the last drop with no starvation in corners.
      Running this setup, you still use the OEM gas tank?

Do you have a link to the surge tank you’re running from eBay?

Thanks for your info. I like the sound of this setup. It achieves exactly what I’m looking for without being too fancy. After all, it is just a 24v swap, nothing too crazy.

Comment

Im using the oe gas tank. I cut a big hole in the truck and lined it with heater hose to run the lines through. Im not using braided line, just 15bar rubber fuel hose. My tank is similar to the one in thr link but mine has barb fittings not a/n. If i had to do it all over again id do it all properly with an lines, and bulkhead fittings, but i was tryin to be cheap.

Width(excludes fittings and filters) : 120 mm tank, 180 mm base. Height(excludes fittings and filters) : 250 mm. Port fittings included : None. Port 1: 1 x AN8 (Dash -8) M. Port 2 : 3 x AN6 (Dash -6) M.

Comment

The surge tank setup is quite big job to make and makes really annoying noise when driving. I recommend installing in-tank walbro 450lph (or your pump of choise) in original bracket. Silent, easy and flows plenty of fuel:

Comment

Walbro is great and all for the street but itll starve in corners with anything less than 3/4 of a tank on the track. An alternative to the surge tank is to run dual in tank pumps.

Comment

Walbro is great and all for the street but itll starve in corners with anything less than 3/4 of a tank on the track. An alternative to the surge tank is to run dual in tank pumps.
              I used this to solve the fuel starvation I had while on right hand turns at the track when @ half tank of fuel. It was so unnerving to have the throttle disappear at 100 mph in turn 8 at the Willows with a Corvette on my ass. It was dangerous, I stopped being a predictable driver at that point and the vette damn near drove through me. Never a problem since I installed it, it was @ $150 IIRC from CARR Industries.

Comment

I personally haven't had any fuel starving problems with that setup. I have tracked the car and done drag racing with pretty empty tank (like 1/4 of the fuel). And no problems. I have fuel pressure sensing in my ecu, so that is not guess. The pressure stays solid all the time. But I have the 55L tank variant, if that makes difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post
                  It was so unnerving to have the throttle disappear at 100 mph in turn 8 at the Willows with a Corvette on my ass. It was dangerous, I stopped being a predictable driver at that point and the vette damn near drove through me.
                  Same issue for me at different tracks.

In my experience, late cars starve at or below about 2/3 full without a swirl pot / surge tank / whatever you choose to call it.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                  X