Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting my Vogtland Springs - don't judge lol

Hi Everyone,

I had new Vogtland springs with Bilsteins installed on my e30, love the ride quality...but didn't really like the drop. Rear is fine, but would like the front to go down maybe a half inch more...

Has anyone had experience with cutting their aftermarket springs? If so, does it affect the ride much? The front springs gave me a 1.6 inch drop...if cutting is not a good idea, does anyone know of a spring that can give me a 2.0-2.3 inch drop on the front? Thanks!

Originally posted by e30mitch View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I had new Vogtland springs with Bilsteins installed on my e30, love the ride quality...but didn't really like the drop. Rear is fine, but would like the front to go down maybe a half inch more...

Has anyone had experience with cutting their aftermarket springs? If so, does it affect the ride much? The front springs gave me a 1.6 inch drop...if cutting is not a good idea, does anyone know of a spring that can give me a 2.0-2.3 inch drop on the front? Thanks!
    I plan to cut my IE3 front springs in the future, and for the same reasoning: more low for the cheap. I hear that if you cut half of a bottom spring (e.g not a dead top spring), it'll raise the spring rate a bit and give you some low without risking misalignment of the spring once its not under load (e.g raised in the air, drooping).

However, you should be careful with your springs because they are quite soft, especially in the front. You will risk bottoming out the strut and essentially riding on your bump stops. You should consider IE3s or H&R Race springs, or do it right once and get GC coilovers. GL
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Why cut springs when you can pick up e9x drop hats for a 12mm drop without any permanent modifications?

BMW E30/E24 FRONT DROP HATS (31336764093 E90) If you lowered your E30 or E24 but would like to get the front a bit lower, then these drop hats are for you. They lower the front an additional 12mm (about 1/2 inch). Simply install where your drop hat is now. Be sure to reuse the compliance washer between this plate and
      Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
        Why cut springs when you can pick up e9x drop hats for a 12mm drop without any permanent modifications?

https://store.garagistic.com/BMW-E30...1336764093-E90
        Done that. There's still a gap lol.
        "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
          I have Eibach Pro Kit springs for sale. They might be a bit lower than the Vogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
            I have Eibach Pro Kit springs for sale. They might be a bit lower than the Vogs.
            ...and softer. Definitely not what the original poster will need.

Comment

There is supposed to be a gap, it's a car meant to be driven, not a sculpture meant to sit still and look good for instagram photos.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

...and softer. Definitely not what the original poster will need.
                Vogtland springs are already pretty soft. If he's willing to cut those, then I have a feeling that ride quality and rubbing are not his top concerns.

Comment

I cut half a coil off my front IE stage 3 springs. Dropped the front to where I wanted it. I didnt notice any difference with the way it handles from doing it. Been like this for 5+ years.

Feedback Thread

Comment

This is a great spring calculator you can use to compare the uncut spring to a cut one of varying degrees:

Easy to use online spring calculator with custom blueprint generation, spring load calculations, helpful tips on spring design as well as much more

Comment

Working...
                    X