Water pump access question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pump access question

Is it possible to access the bolts of the water pump to tighten them down without draining the coolant?

I was able to access the lowest bolt on it from underneath the car, but can't see an easy way to get to the other two (this is on an '89 with a single hose going into the pump)

I realized I put my cooling system together without torquing down my water pump all the way (yeah, I know) and now I have a real slow leak that I feel like I should address now instead of just topping off.

I'm sure I'll have to take the fan and water pump pulley off, but I'd prefer to avoid draining the system if at all possible, seeing as I already dumped about a gallon of coolant on my floor with a bad gasket earlier today.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Im not standing in front of an m20 so i cant say for sure but heres what you can do...

1. Remove clutch fan
    2. Remove distributor cap
    3. Remove the two upper timing cover bolts along with loosening the alternator adjustment bracket
    4. Slide out the upper timing cover
    5. Torque the 3 water pump bolts

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by vtechnik View Post
      Im not standing in front of an m20 so i cant say for sure but heres what you can do...

1. Remove clutch fan

2. Remove distributor cap

3. Remove the two upper timing cover bolts along with loosening the alternator adjustment bracket

4. Slide out the upper timing cover

5. Torque the 3 water pump bolts
      I'm not in front of it anymore either, but this certainly seems reasonable. I'm not sure if I'll be able to reach them without taking off the water pump pulley but with the fan already out that only takes like an extra 5 minutes of work.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow, thanks.

Comment

I was able to do what you said, plus removing the water pump pulley and got it tightened down with no more leak. Thanks again!

Comment

I have this exact problem. I hope i dont have to pull the pump. I just got the dang thing back together and drove it for first time tues since i brought it home in Jan.

Comment

Working...
          X