Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good idea to not make it worse. less stuff to replace.

we probably have most of an m20 sitting around the shop if you need stuff.
    cars beep boop

Comment

So I've been reading a bunch of m20 stroker threads, but haven't found solid comparison data. do we have a thread that summarizes builds and outcomes?

I'm looking for specific build info like, displacement, compression ratio, crank, connecting rod, piston, valve grind info, cam, any intake/exhaust port/polish, engine management. Then info on how that relates to dyno numbers for hp and tq. An added bonus would be fuel economy and how a chip tune on Motronic compared to standalone for the specific engine.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

there are too many variables to draw consistent conclusions for any particular stroker build. kind of like, when you rebuild a motor you end up with error bars around whatever you'll end up with.

pick a build and go with it. this one is recent and fairly informative - https://adamsautosport.com/informati...ine-checklist/
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          there are too many variables to draw consistent conclusions for any particular stroker build. kind of like, when you rebuild a motor you end up with error bars around whatever you'll end up with.

pick a build and go with it. this one is recent and fairly informative - https://adamsautosport.com/informati...ine-checklist/
          Yeah, I get that there will be some variation based on literally everything when it's dyno'd. (ambient temp, elevation, humidity, engine temp, dyno machine, oil type, oil level, etc., etc., etc.)

I'd just like to see some number ranges. For example, BimmerHeads 2.9L vs 3.0L vs 3.1L engine with the recommended cam and a good tune vs IE's version vs MetricMechanic's version.

I guess I should just call Bimmer Heads...
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Shit, for the cost of building a proper 2.9L 10:1 compression m20 (~$6k), now I'm thinking about rebuilding my current m30b35 and just stuffing that into my daily. Maybe toss a slightly more aggressive cam, MAF, and chip at it while its apart and call it a day.
            sigpic

Comment

^would be cheaper, would also be sicker IMO cuz timing chain

but thats just the keyboard mechanic in me talking
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I'd vote a BAR'd 24v. More power, no emissions headaches since you won't be cheating, plentiful parts, similar cost.

Strokers are cool and all...but good luck with smog.
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                  I'd vote a BAR'd 24v. More power, no emissions headaches since you won't be cheating, plentiful parts, similar cost.

Strokers are cool and all...but good luck with smog.
                  Once I had my injectors/ tune sorted out, I did have good luck with smog :devil:

Final smog results
                  '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
                  1972 Porsche 914

Comment

E30 Mechanic in Placerville

Does anybody know of a reliable e30 mechanic in placerville/sacramento

Comment

Drove to new car to work today! I plan on taking it to smog after work. Gut feeling is that I fail, but we'll see!
                      sigpic

Comment

Good luck!
                        1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
                        2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
                        2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                        2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
                        1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
                        1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

it's ok i failed smog this weekend too
                          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                            it's ok i failed smog this weekend too
                            The touring? How's that project going? Legally registered yet?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                              The touring? How's that project going? Legally registered yet?
                              passed visual, failed the sniffer. running too cold.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

So it just needs a higher temp thermostat and more warm-up, or do you think it's a running-rich causing low combustion temps kind of cold.

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for reading material about building a mild m30? I know this engine needs a rebuild before I use it, so while it's apart it would be a good time for a slightly more aggressive cam and/or chip.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X